Early stage progress for a physics based boating game

photo

I know it doesn't look like much yet, but I finally got most of the core mechanics working so I wanted to share (thanks you everyone who helped answer my questions in the forum).

I have a lot of work still ahead of me, but wow I am extremely impressed by the Unigine engine. I have played around with many engines and Unigine has so many advanced features working in its favor that even some of the most popular engine don't have. (There are still some areas lacking in the engine and I hope those holes get filled in the near future because I really feel like this engine could be one of the greatest.)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/wKxvsCis_pw

Edited by AttackGorilla
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress update.

https://youtu.be/2VXPUJ0P2VI

Almost all the core mechanics needed are now working. Also have been making a lot of gameplay quality tweaks along the way that got the state of the game to this point so far. Once all the mechanics are complete it will be onto making it look pretty...

Thanks to all who have been helping me by answering my questions along the way.

Progress is slow going since I have very little spare time, but I hope to see this through to the end.

Edited by AttackGorilla
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

Another Update (I just got back from a wild fire evacuation, so here is video to celebrate): 

Implemented basics of a cargo system, improved destruction physics, added enemy boat with basic AI, added water sounds with water surface reaction, started implementation of almost fully destructible boats, added boat movement inertia, and some other minor updates. Thanks again to those who helped me figure things out.

Edited by AttackGorilla
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Small update. Was busy with some other things, but now back to developing in my tiny bits of free time and trying to stay focused.

I have just about finished a first draft of the player boat with Destruction. Turned out to take longer than I initially was expecting since with destruction you have to model multiple layers so it was about 3 times the work, but I feel like the end result was worth it. (some honeycomb cargo as well to work as a visual cue for player health)

If it looks a bit amateur that is because I am.

• Like 7