Shading Grass and other objects

photo

I have a huge issue (which goes on for a long time already) and I cannot seem to solve this.

I want to create Lawn (short grass) and Grass (high Grass) which are shaded in a uniform way.

The issue I am facing is, that the shading methods (probably shaders and materials) do behave differently, using different methods.

The grass material is very flat, doesnt take any proper specular or normals and shades in a different way than Grass_imposter or the base_mesh material.

This results in wrong light behavior when time of day (sunagle) changes. When the sun is high, the grass material looks more correct, as the sun is coming from above.

When the light angle is flatter, the grass material doesnt take on any shading, which makes it look very dark compared to other objects.

The Impostor material basically behaves the inverse way, as it does shade more like a normal material, but is very dark, when the sunagle is high (parallel to the grass blades).

I am hunted by this for a very long time, and I would love to solve this.

I think, that the grass material needs some better implementation.

E.G: look at the grass in the Ghost of Tsushima. 

best.w.

Hi Werner,

Yeah, we aware of this behavior, Grass object need some heavy facelifing. Unfortunately, right now we don't have any free hands for this task.

We are currently working on node-based material editor which (we hope) will solve the issue with some built-in materials are for some reason doesn't fit requirements on visual quality. With that material editor you can creaty almost any material you want and implement a very custom shading (ETA: 2.13/2.14 releases).

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Ohh. Sounds interesting.
Clever move. I liked to work with these kind of tools for HLSL (as I am not a programmer).... 

Looking forward!

Thanks. W.