Default import settings

photo

Hello,

our artists are currently preparing a lot of old assets in the Editor. They would really like to change the default import settings of the FbxImporter.
Examples:

• Scale should be 100
  • Import materials should be disabled
  • Axis should be different

I know that I can modify the plugin itself, but hardcoding the values would not be a sufficient solution and the default values of the constructor are overwritten by the .meta-file.
Is there a way to modify the default parameters that appear in the .meta-files? This could save the artists quite some time.

Edit: Apparently the editor remembers modified parameters for following imports. So I guess the recommended workflow is importing multiple assets after changing the parameters which our artist did not do. In that context it would probably be nice to reimport multiple files at the same time in order to fix this, but that is not necessary. You can mark this thread as solved if my findings are correct.

Best regards

Edited by ipg_rom

Editor should remember import parameters after you change them, so you need to import a single file, adjust parameters and then import remaining files. Could you please check if this will work?

Alternative solution will be to modify multiple files import procedure to show the import dialog (the same behavior that right now you can see when dropping a single file).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

On 8/22/2020 at 4:39 AM, silent said:

Editor should remember import parameters after you change them, so you need to import a single file, adjust parameters and then import remaining files. Could you please check if this will work?

Yes, this works and is sufficient.

Alternative solution will be to modify multiple files import procedure to show the import dialog (the same behavior that right now you can see when dropping a single file).

I think that would be a minor improvement. It would also be nice if the dialog opens when files are added to the data folder outside of the editor.

Thank you!

• 2 years later...

This seems not to be working in 2.16.1? I just tried it like this: Changed the material mode to mesh base on one FBX. Imported it and then selected the next FBX and the import setting was back to default material graph.

3 hours ago, silent said:

If you selected FBX in the asset browser (that was already imported before) it will keep settings which was used to import it.

aha, but you have to drag it into the editor to import it! I just copied it in Windows Explorer into the folder and then tabbed back to the editor. Then it doesn't work like this.

Would be good, if one could save default import settings that are always used, also after editor startup.

Anyway, now that I know this, this is quite a helpful feature! Thx for the help! :)

• Like 1