glTF Import

photo

Hi All,

According to to the pricing site, glTF is a supported format in Unigine. However I stumbled upon some issues while toying around with it.

- When importing PBR models, the shading texture is not set (Albedo, Normal and Emission work most of the time). The texture is imported correctly and can be set manually without a problem, however I think this should happen automatically as it does for the other textures.
- Animations are not imported (all imported meshes are static)

I used the official samples provided by Khronos: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF-Sample-Models

What did I do?
- create subdir in data folder
- click "Import" in Asset Browser
- select *.gltf and *.bin file of sample asset and click "open"
- drag and drop imported *.gltf into scene

Here are my import settings (I played around a bit with them but could not solve the problems):
import_settings_brain_stem.thumb.png.5d8d947d46761c236a37dd5b69b75ace.png

Recreate the issues:
- create new Unigine Project
- import samples from glTF-Sample-Models repo (I used glTF-Sample-Models/2.0/BrainStem for animations and glTF-Sample-Models/2.0/BoomBox for the shading texture)

Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem with the Unigine glTF importer? I can't find Documentation on glTF, maybe something like the FBX Import Guide would be useful?

Thanks in advance!

Greetings

Edited by ipg_jallmenroeder

Hello,

Thanks for the detailed report.

At the moment shading texture is ignored on purpose. UNIGINE requires channels remapping for these textures and automatic assigning of the default ones will cause visual artifacts. Channels remapping feature was already implemented and waits to be tested. This improvement will be available later.

Meanwhile, the only workaround is manual management of the shading texture.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thanks for the response.

Anything on animations? I could not get them to work (easily) with glTF.

And could you specify approximately when "available later" is?

The glTF support seems to be in a somewhat early stage. Is there a roadmap for full support?

Thanks and Greetings

We are currently restructuring our workflow and evaluate glTF as an alternative because of its clear specification and open format. Channel remapping for shading textures does not seem like a big issue, I am sure there are ways to make this work.
However animations would be necessary and I found samples where not only the shading texture but also albedo was not imported (glTF-Sample-Models/2.0/MetalRoughSpheres). Are there more hiccups to be expected when using glTF?

Greetings

37 minutes ago, ipg_jallmenroeder said:

However animations would be necessary and I found samples where not only the shading texture but also albedo was not imported (glTF-Sample-Models/2.0/MetalRoughSpheres).

Hmm, that worked for me. The model includes albedo and shading map textures, albedo (image_0.png) was added automatically.

image.png

38 minutes ago, ipg_jallmenroeder said:

Are there more hiccups to be expected when using glTF?

Animation support and shading texture conversion are the major problems by now. We also had rare crashes with specific glTF files.

On the other hand we have long time supported FBX and OBJ, these formats will provide a smoother experience.

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Okay thanks for the help.

Maybe you could update Documentation on glTF. From the Get Unigine site it looks like full glTF support, but it never appears in Documentation (I'd expect it in Import System for example).

36 minutes ago, morbid said:

Hmm, that worked for me. The model includes albedo and shading map textures, albedo (image_0.png) was added automatically.

Hm strange, I also had problems with the sponza scene that just vanished later. Maybe I messed up my import settings in the process. But its not an important issue so don't mind it.

Greetings

Edited by ipg_jallmenroeder