Exclude foreground objects from (Water)SSR source

photo

Hello,

we have the following issue with screen space reflections on the water:

ssr_problem.png.9be9e4d39e4e001a8bf358b4ff57e111.png

In our particular case we know that the foreground object is never part of the reflection.

Is it somehow possbile to exclude certain opaque (or in our case alpha tested) objects from being rendered into the depth/color textures which are sampled during  water SSR generation?

Enable alpha blending instead of alpha testing would resolve the SSR issue, but unfortunately the object does not look the same anymore.

Thanks for any input

Helmut

There is something, how the SSRs are calculated. They add a lot of detail, which the planar reflections do not do.

Especially the wave distortion is much richer by the SSR (dont know if that is an unprecision, but it feels so much more realistic).

So we use both, SSR plur PR.

Hello Morbid,

we have a lot of tiny waves on the water (which I have switched off on the previous screenshot)  - so the planar reflection and screenspace reflections are producing slightly different results.

I should mention that the project is almost finished, so I would love to resolve this without affecting anything else.

Many thanks

Helmut

Helmut, Werner,

I'm afraid there's no adequate way to exclude something from the Screen Space effect. I suggest increasing Water SSR quality to Ultra and enabling Increased accuracy flag in Render Settings/Water.

Also, you can try increasing planar reflections resolution in the water material. Higher resolution should produce better detailing for ripples etc. Environment Probes might help to improve overall reflections quality, worth trying. Don't forget to enable "Render Environment Probes" flag in the water settings (same page as SSR parameters).

Thanks.

image.png

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: