Corrupted vision and tracking in VR app

photo

Strange behavior, testing Unigine VR applications all of them have this odd corrupted part on the right, also there are heavy racking problems.

This is oil refinery

image.thumb.png.6cd1f60344f79248e3ed21837878d841.png

This is one of our projects.

image.thumb.png.f688b1d44a97864ebd2d5c27c5ac6436.png

SteamVR app are running fine.

Restarting Vive Console and SteamVR didn't solve the problem.

Using Vive Cosmos latest firmware, 1.12.5 SteamVR, latest Nvidia drivers, all 2.11 SDK. GTX 1070 GPU.

Edited by davide445

That's expected behavior. We are not clearing OpenVR render targets to save some performance. You can change the output texture to the monitor via API: AppVive:setViewportMode() and choose between following options:

VIEWPORT_BLACK_SCREEN = 0 No image (black screen).
VIEWPORT_MONO = 1 Mono image.
VIEWPORT_STEREO = 2 Stereo image (left and right eye).

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

@silent was all working fine till few days ago - didn't remember exactly when tested last time.

Also the performance and tracking inside VR are heavily affected, i. e. illumination cascade never finish to be updated, all is going super slow, etc

Will check this afternoon for other elements. 

@silent checked changing USB port for the Vive controller, updated to latest Cosmos beta firmware, nothing changed.

Curiously the older oil refinery demo based on 2.9 SDK is working fine in VR, but show always the corrupted part

image.png.e90618b27140487f07a461a5a53791bb.png

Testing the newer 2.11 VR projects all of them not only show this problem on screen but also VR it's extremely unresponsive and the right controller doesn't appear in VR, the left yes.

The only hw change was last week an upgrade to 64GB RAM, but all was working till yesterday. Checked Windows 10 is using build 1909 so standard one and there is no recent big update.

To be noted also I have seen this behavior happening before, possibly after some Vive/SteamVR software update, but was never able to track down the reason and after a reboot/update/whatever disappear and all was back to normal (so no corruption on display, no tracking problems in VR).

I never had this problem running for days, as is now.

Edited by davide445

Hello there,

More tests.

Tested it with the 2.11 and HTC Vive. Updated Steam-VR and all devices firmware to latest one.

Working fine for me too.

@davide445 Sometimes programming kills. :-)  Probably a HDMI or DP cable connecting to devices. 

Regards,

Rohit

• Like 1

After more testing:

- tested with the second GPU

- changed GPU DP port

- clean uninstalled and reinstalled SteamVR

- reinstalled OilRefinery demo

All the same.

Seems old demo projects are running fine: tried a 2.9 foxhole demo released as build and is working perfectly, 2.9 oil refinery is showing the corrupted part on display but is running fine in VR

So seems oil refinery demo 2.11 it's not working well with my setup: just to start the right hand is always missing. I also can't use the left hand for any activity.

Every other 2.11 project or demo I can test in VR is behaving wrongly, but let's verify this one first. Unfortunatelly can't test the old projects apart the released one due to the license problem.

Edited by davide445

I noticed something weird: I have two GPUs and use only one of them by using an HDMI switch.

Now discovered if I use the slot 1 GPU only this one is loaded

image.png.fc825e3e4191f3d3431df29a706cfe05.png

if I switch to the second slot (where the VR headset is connected) both of them are used at the same time within the Unigine 2.11 editor

image.png.a722189dd2497623010235d4ad8ba7ae.png

Considering I seems to have problems only on Unigine 2.11, something has changed on GPU loading in thise relase?

@silent

As last test I removed the second GPU and installed the one associated at SteamVR on the first slot.

The behavior is the same, also not only the right side of the screen is corrupted but also on the left side something is odd. This is true for every demo or custom project on 2.11 SDK. 

i.e. the right side of one of our projects

image.thumb.png.e8e82b81d5c6c37b9e77882b70d57bfc.png

the left side of the oil refinery

image.thumb.png.3fa64392a47e08212db1e830e710c830.png

Also on these demo no VR interaction is possible since only the left controller is available (even powering on only the right one), as from this screenshot

1979958870_Undistort2020-07-17-02_22_08.thumb.JPG.46978d22ff54de90c37c1c21bbc8c17e.JPG

So

- it's not the GPU slot or the GPU

- the headset is working fine on other VR applications

- the old pre-2.11 projects I have a delivery are working correctly

- It's not the specific DP or USB port

- It's not SteamVR installation

- it's not the specific application

Attached the log file of our project.

How can we proceed?

log.html

Edited by davide445

@silent another problem with 2.11: using a slow internet connection the projects didn't start neither in VR or 2D.

Was using a wireless connection on my PC in a demo room and the projects remains stuck at the texture loading point and never proceed.

Returned with the wired connection in the office and the very same projects started without problems.

2.9 projects was starting correctly in the first and second case.

Edited by davide445