Landscape resolution

photo

I am wondering, how the 'current Data Density' is beeing calculated.

I have a 2000x2000 Heightmap at 2kmx2km = 1m/px and a 8000x8000 Albedo,= 25 cm /px

A tileset of 14x11 tiles.

I set the Landscape asset to 28000 (m?) x 22000 (m?). so the density should be something either 1m/px or 0.25m/px

but it shows this:

aa.PNG

mooom. I misunderstood something.....

is the resolution the total resoution? I mean the resolution of the whole terrain layer? Or of one tile?

If I match the width and height with the Landscape asset size = 1m/px.

Is this how it its calculated.

ressss.PNG

The docs are a bit cryptic, uhm.

image.png.2ebcb8c3b9aa0953b3538c50c47440ce.png

So what do I need to set the Terrain settings if I want a 25 cm / pixel resolution as my Albedo color is?

So if I want my landscape to be 0.25 m/px I would need to set the witdh to the realworld resolution. That would be 28 000 (m) x 4 (0.25m/m) in width and 22 000 x 4 in height.

So 114 000 x 88 000.

Is this correct?

Does my computer explode then?

;)

Best.

WErner

I am scared as I calculate now with 28000x22000 setting in the Import setting and it take already 30 minutes.....

Once the Terrain is calculated, the display of it should be swift, isnt it?

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

I actually calculated it .... And I am pretty amazed!

Looks fantastic already.

Still my question..... how the Density is calculated. As you see I put in width and height, same values and the density is 0.8545 ? 

What s that factor exactly?

I will keep pushing. 

Very cool tool this landscape.!

Thx.w

WHZ.PNG

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

Hello @werner.poetzelberger!

In general, the Data Density is calculated for each Landscape Layer Map (not for the whole terrain nor a tile) as a ratio of its spatial Size to the highest Resolution of the graphic data used (let's say you use a 1024×1024 Heighmap and a 2048×2048 Albedo map — the latter one will be used). If you use a tileset the resulting resolution of all tiles combined will be considered.

Technically, the ratio is calculated for both dimensions separately: the Size along the X axis (in meters) is divided by the texture Width (pixels), the same is done for the Y axis and the Height, and the maximum ratio value is selected to be the Current Data Density in meters/pixel. No additional factor used.

So, to get the density of 0.25 meters/pixel you'll need a texture having the resolution four times bigger than the size of your Landscape Layer Map, for instance, a 2048×2048 texture compared to a layer map 512 meters across.

Please note that resolution of maps is limited by the amount of available video memory. It's hard to tell why you got the density of 0.8545 when using the same values. The lack of VRAM might be the reason: looks like the value of 32768 (28000 / 0.8545) was used instead of your texture resolution. I'd suggest using a lower texture resolution and improving the Landscape Terrain surface using Details.

And yeah, now we can see the docs have some gaps regarding this question, thank you for pointing that out. We will add a clearer description, sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Thank you for the detailled explanation.

I will play with the details.

Anyway, i already got some very pleasing results. Great tool!

Best!. W.

On 6/26/2020 at 8:37 PM, thomalex said:

In general, the Data Density is calculated for each Landscape Layer Map (not for the whole terrain nor a tile) as a ratio of its spatial Size to the highest Resolution of the graphic data used (let's say you use a 1024×1024 Heighmap and a 2048×2048 Albedo map — the latter one will be used).

Thanks for this info, it is actually quite important. I thought I will save some performance/memory by having albedo higher res than height map and obviously I will not :)

Edited by demostenes