Detail Material Alpha Channel Blending

photo

Hi.

Am I missing an option for blending the alpha channel of the detail material?

The Blending only applies to the RGB not to A ?

Would be great to have such an option as well for the A. Add/Multiply/Overlay e.g.

Best.w.

Just came into my mind... A Decal Material, which would effect the alpha of other objects. So like projecting only RGB as well utilizing A.

Is this possible? Does this make sense?

BEst.w.

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

Hey.

At the moment I am reviving an old idea of using layered meshes for a very short lawn. (fur shader style).

So I have several meshes topping each other. I copy the mesh and inflate it.

I use a 'Grass Texture' which is basically a tileable texture, creating the 'grassblades' as a horizontal slice.

This is typically a noise (Black/White) Texture. So White renders a dot, black is seethrough. 

So far so easy. I can control the sizes of the texture in the UV transform in the standard material.

That doesnt look very spectacular as it is more a carpert with the same 'grass lenght'.

The look come in with a 'distribution texture' which is a textures, used a a non tileable texture for a) grass length b) color variation both unique.

So I can use the 'detail' function of the material to create an overlay. Albedo (shading etc..) works, but I also want to combine the two alpha channels to create the cutout.

The result is basically the combination of the Base and Detail Material as it is atm. but with the option to combina the alpha as well.

.. The image shows the material with the tileable texture only.

I guess we can implement that in a custom shader. If you think that might be an interesting amendment for the standard material...... please add it.

The Decal idea just came up, as I thgought it might be interesting to do this via a more flexilble method rather than in the material.

But I didnt think further, if that is useful (its like cutting a hole into something).. 

Best.w.

furagain.PNG

Ja, I noticed, that this Material wants to rule the world. ;)

We will write our own shader, I think we did the same thing for a previous version.

Thanks for listening, anyway ;)

Node based Material Editor sounds cool.!