Sound occlusion does not accumulate

photo

Hi,

I ran into a limitation with the sound occlusion system. When I add 2 objects with a different sound occlusion setting, and a soundsource to a scene, the occlusion behaviour is not always as expected.

Whenever only a single object is supposed to block sound everything is ok. However, when both objects are between the camera and the soundsource the occlusion goes wrong. What I would expect is that the occlusion values of both object is combined somehow to result in extra sound attenuation. Instead, the system appears to only apply the occlusion for the object closest to the camera.

There are some serious issues with this approach. If I create a 'bunker' with 100% occlusion and put the sound source inside, I will not be able to hear it outside. But if I then place an object outside with 0% occlusion and I position the camera outside such that the object is between the sound source and the camera, I can suddenly hear the soundsource completely unoccluded, despite it being inside the 'bunker'.

I have to mention I'm currently on version 2.5, so if this has been addressed already in a later update then I would love to know!

Thanks for your input. I just checked 2.11 and I'm glad to report that there the occlusion does behave as expected!

I'm really happy to see this has already been addressed because doing any serious sound occlusion work in 2.5 is very difficult.