performance benchmark on different xeon cpu models and rtx 5000

photo

Hi,

Our application is a video graphics software based on unigine as the rendering core.

The issues we encountered is the performance drop down after moving to new set of "new generation" CPU.

We did the benchmark using superposition benchmark app. 

The two machines have same graphics card, RTX 5000.  The main difference is the CPU. One is the older generation Xeon E5 2637v4, and the other is newer generation Xeon Gold 5222.

Based on the spec, Gold 5222 is supposed to be a stronger performer.

The result turns out the benchmark points is a few hundred lower than the old geneartion E5 2637.

Our video related application will amplify this type of performance drop down. The performance is stronger and stable on the older cpu.  The average FPS is lower on the newer cpu.

Could you help us to figure out anything we can do? or is there any guideline about maintain the stabler and higher  FPS numbers.

Like the Xeon series and i7/i9 series. 

In our application, we hope to maintain the FPS well above 50. Because besides rendering, we need to have video processing, video IO, etc.

Thank you,

Ian

we tested on z820 and z8, with same rtx 5000, but different cpu, xeon e5 2637 on z820, and gold 5222/even gold 6224 on z8.  

both gold 5222 and gold 6224 were beaten by the old z820/e5 2637.  

I called intel and hp, it says it happens this year, some software's performance dropped on intel's newer cpu.  it is related to software need to be “optimized” on the new cpu..... 

Any suggestion how to "optimize" on the newer gold 5222/gold 6224?

Thank you,

Ian

Just coming out in my mind, does have both systems the same security patches? Thinking about Spectre, Meltdown etc vulnerabilities that can hit badly the performance in some applications. 

Both run on clean windows 10, we resintalled the OS.  

old xeon e5 2637 v4 + rtx5000 out performed the new xeon gold 5222/6224, which is really weird.

We turn on the profiler, the average FPS, and gpu waiting time line, total time, all are better on the old hardware...

unigine version is 2.6

Of course not sure this is the cause, but the security fix involve both Windows and firmware update. So to be sure this is not the cause you need to check if both your mobo firmware it's updated with latest patches. 

If not as further steps I will check on BIOS if SMT its enabled and use another benchmark to check if the newer CPU is working correctly. 

This exhausted my suggestions. 

Edited by davide445