Arbitrary Terrain Generation add-on unavailable

photo

Hello,

I wanted to use this terrain add-on however it isn't listed in my SDK browser.

Is this not available in the Community edition or a bug?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 5:20 AM, silent said:

Hi Bernhard,

It's for Engineering and Sim editions only. You still can use any textures (heights / albedo) with a new LandscapeTerrain object: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.11/objects/objects/terrain/landscape_terrain/

can I ask you - is there any limitation of the actual size of the terrain in the Community edition? I read something about 8x8kms which wouldn't be enough for a "racing sim" we plan - the tracks will be much longer.
Thank you

Hi Jan,

Float precision of coordinates more or less suitable for the 8x8 km terrains (without much noticeable jittering of the objects). You can quickly test it inside Editor, just move the object from the origin to the desired distance and try to move camera around it.

For big scale project we do recommend an Engineering edition.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thank you for your answer. Is it possible to use the Community edition for the creation of the actual game prototype (while using a smaller terrain) and then simply upgrade to the Engineering one to support the large terrain (tracks)?

If I can ask you couple more questions:

1. would you recommend Unigine for making a rally simulator in general? (a rally game with the proper sim physics, hopefully moddable)
  2. do you think it is possible to achieve AAA results with Unigine & small team? (consisting of an excellent car-physics programmer, all-around programmer + few experienced 3D / audio artists, hopefully some new people from the sim community will join the development ...)
  3. is it possible to make a Unigine game moddable? (custom tracks, cars ...)
  4. do you plan to add FMOD support? Are you aware of any Unigine project which has FMOD integrated?
  5. could you try to estimate how much time it would take to finish such moddable rally-sim project? Our team is already experienced with the car-sim physics development & 3D content creation, but we haven't created single game using a game engine...
  6. THANK YOU :-)

J.

Edited by jan.kadebek

Thank you for your answer. Is it possible to use the Community edition for the creation of the actual game prototype (while using a smaller terrain) and then simply upgrade to the Engineering one to support the large terrain (tracks)?

Yes, you can totally do this.

• would you recommend Unigine for making a rally simulator in general? (a rally game with the proper sim physics, hopefully moddable)

I believe it's totally possible to build some rally game with a decent physics, but physics tuning for sure will take a lot of time and efforts :)

• do you think it is possible to achieve AAA results with Unigine & small team? (consisting of an excellent car-physics programmer, all-around programmer + few experienced 3D / audio artists, hopefully some new people from the sim community will join the development ...)

With a small team it would be really challenging I guess.

• do you plan to add FMOD support? Are you aware of any Unigine project which has FMOD integrated?

We are using OpenAL and don't plan to change it to something different in the nearest future. Can't remember if any of our users ever integrated FMOD.

• could you try to estimate how much time it would take to finish such moddable rally-sim project? Our team is already experienced with the car-sim physics development & 3D content creation, but we haven't created single game using a game engine...

There are many restrictions and approximations in realtime simulations that you can't find in offline physics/graphics that can drive you crazy. Once you understand them  the process will surely go faster. Unfortunately, I can't give you any estimation because there are so many unknown variables that can affect final result drastically.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: