About ECS

photo

So i've been looking through the source of the logics example project for c++.  And was wanting to find out how pure this ecs engine was.  Though i guess it's hard to define how a pure one would work.  And after digging around it seems that it prefers to have an init, update, and destroy set of function pointers to be used as callbacks.  I'm guessing to be called repeatedly for all entities which have the same component.  That's for sure a lot better than chasing vtables.  However...  Does anyone have a working example of how to use this more traditionally?  Say where you have just one function which is called once, that calls ecs related code to gather the data it needs, then speedily run through them without that extra jump.  Also this i suspect would be much easier to multithread.  The way it is in this example i'm not sure is really possible to multithread since one entity could write data to another.  I'm just starting out with the engine so i may have a lot of points wrong.  I'm a bit of a newb with DOD but would much prefer to go that rout, and optimize more where ideal.  The engine does look awesome, i suspect not anywhere as locked down as ue4 but will soon find out.  Thanks for any answers and feedback.

Edited by paul.abrams

Hi Paul,

As I already mention before it's not a ECS (rather than EC pattern implementation). We will update the demo description in the upcoming hotfix release. Sorry for the misleading.

You need to write your own ECS system (using the our components) or your own - it's up to you. I know that some guys from discord server is doing their own C# ECS based of flecs, however, there was no C++ enthusiasts so far :)

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I might implement a plugin using an opensource lib for that then.  Either way it's really no biggy.  After playing with the code it's become clear that it's soooo flexible.  It's not locked into a specific design model it seems.  I've been waiting ages for a decent engine like this and would love to contribute any way possible.

• Like 1