Mobile build target

photo

I see that it's not possible to do Android/iOS build right now.

But in the past I saw demos of unigine working on Android

Is it planned to support mobiles?

@roman.zhu my answer just as simple user so without any official value, I saw this question in the past and the answer was always Unigine is not focused on mobile usage, also not suitable as a hardware due to his advanced yet demanding features. I'm personally not counting on mobile support coming, due to Unigine specializing on a really different kind of use cases.

4 hours ago, morbid said:

Hi,

Mobile platforms are out of our focus at the moment. Even if we'll decide to adapt render for them, it won't happen in the near future.

Thanks!

Sp what re the supported desktop Platforms? Windows, Linux? How about MAC OSX?

Keep focusing on what you do well. I would love for Unigine to not support everything. Please keep your stellar work tightly focused on desktop and ignore mobiles and consoles.

• Like 4
22 hours ago, david.sanda said:

Keep focusing on what you do well. I would love for Unigine to not support everything. Please keep your stellar work tightly focused on desktop and ignore mobiles and consoles.

Agreed. Everybody knows sad story about one engine, which supports everything....

On 4/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, stas.denisov said:

I think as for consoles it should be not so painful to support Xbox at least since it shares a ton with Windows.

Agreed. Consoles is must be. Publishing your game only on Windows is big loss in income.

• Like 1
On 4/12/2020 at 1:24 PM, demostenes said:

Agreed. Everybody knows sad story about one engine, which supports everything....

Just out of curiosity, what's the engine you are referring to. Having used CryEngine, Unity and UE4 I can fit only Unity in this support everything role, but considering his success this seems not a problem.

I *personally* anyway agree on the fact Unigine is better pursuing current path of specialization, there is no lack of general purpose engine out there, also porting his unique features on other more limited platforms seems to me very hard and probably not worth the effort, at least not before adopting DX12/Vulkan that's also a huge effort.

1 hour ago, davide445 said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the engine you are referring to. Having used CryEngine, Unity and UE4 I can fit only Unity in this support everything role, but considering his success this seems not a problem.

Success of platform and its real quality are two quite diffrent things and surprisingly not much connected. Also what is sucsess? Again depends on the point of view. Having millions of users who just play with platform and never ever makes anything, not to say publish anything (but yes, these people can make you nice income), or having 1000x smaller community, but tons of AAA titles released (Unity vs Cry)?
Unity is nice on the paper, but once you start to really load the engine, hell begins. Nothing works as it should, nothing is finished for real production for, everything is crashing. And this is problem of how is Unity internally designed, such solution is quite vulnerable to memory leaks. Add "support all platforms" and disaster is on the way. I am not sure If they ever wll be able to solve this without redesigning whole engine (probably never happen). So can you make openworld AAA title on Unity? Yes you can, but you need to rewrite half of engine and implement your own system instead of provided ones (terrain, streaming, animation...). And with each version keep these systems working (ouch). This will consume enormous resources, so why to do this? We ve been there and we will never make this mistake again. Better to go to platform, where these things just works.

You want a quick prototype, or make simple casual game? Unity is probably usable solution. You want to make heavy open world game? Run from Unity as fast as you can.

There cant be all-in one tools. Who tries to developt it always fail or ship something mediocre in all aspects. For great results you always need specialized tools which are made to do just several things well. 

Edited by demostenes

@demostenes I needed to be more accurate writing the most diffuse, not necessarily the best or most successful.

I abandoned Unity a while ago for his limitations, never used for serious projects.

Edited by davide445
  • Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 4/13/2020 at 10:04 PM, demostenes said:

Success of platform and its real quality are two quite diffrent things and surprisingly not much connected. Also what is sucsess? Again depends on the point of view. Having millions of users who just play with platform and never ever makes anything, not to say publish anything (but yes, these people can make you nice income), or having 1000x smaller community, but tons of AAA titles released (Unity vs Cry)?
Unity is nice on the paper, but once you start to really load the engine, hell begins. Nothing works as it should, nothing is finished for real production for, everything is crashing. And this is problem of how is Unity internally designed, such solution is quite vulnerable to memory leaks. Add "support all platforms" and disaster is on the way. I am not sure If they ever wll be able to solve this without redesigning whole engine (probably never happen). So can you make openworld AAA title on Unity? Yes you can, but you need to rewrite half of engine and implement your own system instead of provided ones (terrain, streaming, animation...). And with each version keep these systems working (ouch). This will consume enormous resources, so why to do this? We ve been there and we will never make this mistake again. Better to go to platform, where these things just works.

You want a quick prototype, or make simple casual game? Unity is probably usable solution. You want to make heavy open world game? Run from Unity as fast as you can.

There cant be all-in one tools. Who tries to developt it always fail or ship something mediocre in all aspects. For great results you always need specialized tools which are made to do just several things well. 

Cryengine DOES support consoles and now they are adding mobile platforms. Most of Cryengine game sales come from consoles.

Well I guess not everyone want to build AAA games, and when it comes to flexibility and styles, Unity wins. Also Unity can support large maps. Need to implement custom scripts though.

I think Unigine 3 should add console support, mobile is not required, for those who enjoy C# while still want to make something more ambitious

4 hours ago, tieyi.wang said:

Also Unity can support large maps. Need to implement custom scripts though.

So it does not support. And no, it is not only about some "custom script". This issue is far more complex than you think, it literally means to remake half of engine. Anybody who tried, failed. I know there is ton of 3rd party terrain/streaming systems, it seems working on the first sight, but devil is hidden in detail...So good luck with impleting such "custom scripts". It will cost you so much in resources (dev/workarounding/upkeep), that it will easily kill small studio and it will always have some performance issues (peaks...). Sure, if you have 40 developers in team, you can assign 3 full time to make and upkeep such subsystem. But why? Streaming and terrain are so crucial features (for games which needs streaming and terrain), that this must be part of engine out of box. It will save you tremendous amount of resources.

Edited by demostenes
22 hours ago, demostenes said:

So it does not support. And no, it is not only about some "custom script". This issue is far more complex than you think, it literally means to remake half of engine. Anybody who tried, failed. I know there is ton of 3rd party terrain/streaming systems, it seems working on the first sight, but devil is hidden in detail...So good luck with impleting such "custom scripts". It will cost you so much in resources (dev/workarounding/upkeep), that it will easily kill small studio and it will always have some performance issues (peaks...). Sure, if you have 40 developers in team, you can assign 3 full time to make and upkeep such subsystem. But why? Streaming and terrain are so crucial features (for games which needs streaming and terrain), that this must be part of engine out of box. It will save you tremendous amount of resources.

When it comes to large maps in Unity there are always some issues though, like Forest.

But still Unigine 3 might need at least console support since sometimes scale is not as important as larger audiences. The edge of Unity comes from its easy-to-use and wide reach. WIthout these no one will use it and complement or bypass its disadvantages.

5 hours ago, tieyi.wang said:

But still Unigine 3 might need at least console support since sometimes scale is not as important as larger audiences. The edge of Unity comes from its easy-to-use and wide reach. WIthout these no one will use it and complement or bypass its disadvantages.

Do you already have finished Unigine project and you need to deploy it also on console? Or do you plan and have resources to develop multi platform product and buy appropriate licences? If not, why are you lobbing for features, which you dont need? What other users need is pure speculation. 

For example for us not having consoles and mobiles is HUGE plus. It means much faster developement of engine and much more stable releases. We really like engine which is not crashing 20x per hour. Adding platform always increases complexity, which means only troubles at the end. "Swiss knife" Unity clearly shows all disadvantages.

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 2

I had so many of these discussions over the last 20 years in business....

Lets me express it that way:

So many people are buying from a Swedish furniture store.

They think these products are the best, at least for a while. So does Mr.XY.

One day Mr. XY discovers, that these products are somehow all the same, cheaply produced, have the same kind of design, dont have value over time, cant be dissassebled etc.

So he thinks " I need something more, more sophisticaed, more unique; I am special so I want my furniture to express that".

Mr XY decides to goto a carpenter.

The carpernter talks about his craft, he shows the machines and the workshop, he explains how he makes chairs and cupboards.

He lets Mr. XY sit in a handcrafted chair.

Mr. XY doesnt know what he should think. He is overwhelmed by all that information. He does not know the world of craftsmanship, materials which come from nature, time as value, as things take time to make.

So he stands up and shouts at the carpenter " You are an idiot. It takes 2 weeks for you to build a chair. Its heavy and it even doesnt have a name! I know the way you should change your business, because I am an experienced customer. I know which products sell and how to sell them, I know how to make YOU happy too. And I want such chairs from you, bastard.!! CHANGE!! .....".

Then Mr. XY runs away, upset and confused, still not able to understand why there are carpenters in the world. Far away, straight to buy a Billy or a SreeDeeEngiör, in a Swedish furniture store.

The carpenter goes back to work and does what he can do best: Make unique, crafted furniture.

Edited by werner.poetzelberger
  • Like 5
16 hours ago, demostenes said:

Do you already have finished Unigine project and you need to deploy it also on console? Or do you plan and have resources to develop multi platform product and buy appropriate licences? If not, why are you lobbing for features, which you dont need? What other users need is pure speculation. 

For example for us not having consoles and mobiles is HUGE plus. It means much faster developement of engine and much more stable releases. We really like engine which is not crashing 20x per hour. Adding platform always increases complexity, which means only troubles at the end. "Swiss knife" Unity clearly shows all disadvantages.

It's nice to make it focused, something like Cryengine.

Still adding more platforms is possible. Just not now.

Edited by tieyi.wang