Update to Leap Motion Orion v4

photo

Reading this post

I suppose the support it's always for the 3.2.1 SDK.

Currently testing LM with SDK 4.0 and importing the plugin into the VR sample it's not working. From the logs LM is started but no hand tracking appear.

Being LM integrated into the new Varjo VR-2 Pro might have sense to update the plugin to latest LM SDK release (if this is the problem and it's not related to mine specific setup).

v4 (released June 11, 2018) does have a series of relevant improvements respect v 3.2.1 (released November 14, 2017)

• Greater finger dexterity and fingertip precision
  • Better hand pose stability and reliability
  • Faster and more consistent initialization
  • Smoother hand and finger movements
  • Improved tracking fidelity on backgrounds and bright lighting
  • More accurate shape and scale for hands
  • Significantly improved performance on embedded “Rigel” devices
  • LeapC is now the officially supported API included in the SDK. LeapAPI has been deprecated
  • Changed the fingertip location in LeapC applications such that the point defines the center of a sphere whose edge is at the fingertip. Previous output was defined such that the point was at the edge of the fingertip
  • Removed LeapCSharp and associated functionality from the SDK. It can now be found as part of UnityModules
  • Removed Leap.dll, all associated language bindings (LeapPython, LeapJava, Objective-C) and samples
  • Added a feature that pauses the device when no clients are connected (note: the Leap Control Panel is a client)
  • LeapC makefile now generates all the samples correctly
  • Fixed a hang at service shutdown
  • Fixed an issue where hands could initialize on top of other hands

v 3.2.1 was just a hotfix release of the v 3.2 released December 2016, so I suppose the improvements need to be massive.

Edited by davide445

Davide,

Right now we don't have any plans to update to the Orion v4 beta version, but if there will be some stable release we surely will take a look into it.

Also v4 and v3 SDKs are totally different, so, basically we need to write a new integration instead of small upgrade and renaming of obsolete methods.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: