import FBX issue

photo

When importing, 2 surface UH-60L_C2 is created and the same material is used.

Material #6784 uses the same texture used by the material in UH-60L_C2.

image.thumb.png.b7a142a49fca3ef33750ff7259e43903.png

Why is it being imported so inefficiently?

When the "Merge Surfaces by material" setting is enabled, the editor turns off while it is being imported.

I want to combine the surface that uses the same Mertreal.

For example, I hope that Material #6784 and two UH-60L_C2 will be formed as one UH-60L_C2.

What is wrong with the FBX file? Or is there a solution in the Editor?

UH-60L_C9_Alb.zip

Edited by dongju.jeong

dongju.jeong

Material #6784 uses the same texture used by the material in UH-60L_C2. Why is it being imported so inefficiently?

The surfaces list are being created from the topology that artists created in DCC tool (assuming that in your case it is 3ds Max), so it's being split just as it was designed.

When importing, 2 surface UH-60L_C2 is created and the same material is used.

The surface names are identical because in original FBX file you have materials with different IDs, but identical names (these names you are seeing in the surface list). Technically, these materials are unique because they have different IDs inside 3ds Max.

In your case surfaces can't be automatically combined on import with Merge Surfaces by Material option, because it works only with truly identical materials (from original FBX file).

Merge Similar Materials option should in theory merge all the 3 materials into a 1, but in my tests it merges only uh-60* materials into a single file. I will try find out if this bug or not and report back.

Please, also, keep in mind that when you will merge surfaces you will no longer able to control the individual parts (for example, switches that would be merged with dashboard).

What is wrong with the FBX file? Or a solution within the Unigine Editor?

So right now the only a single option is available for you (if you really want to use a single materials instead of 3) is to edit the model in DCC tool and get rid of overlapping names for materials with different IDs.

When the "Merge Surfaces by material" setting is enabled, the editor turns off while it is being imported.

It's definitely a bug, I can reproduce it in 2.10 SDK as well. Will try to fix in the upcoming 2.11 update. Thanks for the test FBX, it's very helpful.

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: