When updating .mesh on the fly, Unigine sometimes crashes

photo

I use workflow, when I export from 3dsmax as .mesh and updating this .mesh in the scene to instantly see changes. When I make bigger change like changing number of surfaces, Unigine sometimes crashes. Nothing in log, happens cca 1/10-1/20. It never crashes with simple changes like adding more polygons. 

Edited by demostenes

Hi demostenes,

So the case is:

• You import some mesh file into the project
  • Then opening the very same file in 3DS Max
  • Adding new materials (which will generate new surfaces to your Unigine mesh)
  • Opening Editor and from time to time it crashes

As I understood you're still using mesh export plugin, am I right?

Could you give us examples, which mesh files causing crashes more often? How much new surfaces should be generated? Or it's totally random?

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

18 hours ago, morbid said:

Hi demostenes,

So the case is:

• You import some mesh file into the project
  • Then opening the very same file in 3DS Max
  • Adding new materials (which will generate new surfaces to your Unigine mesh)
  • Opening Editor and from time to time it crashes

As I understood you're still using mesh export plugin, am I right?

Could you give us examples, which mesh files causing crashes more often? How much new surfaces should be generated? Or it's totally random?

Thanks.

Yes, I have this mesh loaded into scene, so after export from 3ds max, it is instantly updated. Yes, I am still using that plugin, it is very handy. Crashing is totally random, 10x nothing and then crash. But there must be new surfaces, any other changes are OK.

Btw, fIle system realated crashes are very nasty, I have after that full log with something like this. After last crash, asset library does not want to load cca 20 meshes, which I added before crash:

Mesh::info(): unknown format of "guid://45b1b974b2ad964325a946c681906f6d3ecf09e8" file

Mesh::info(): unknown format of "guid://5a1eb3f29e5282a9e92febf436b526c3fa1e9d46" file

Mesh::info(): unknown format of "guid://597c856a6c43f5c1cfa6542c45b6c19b7ffd8a3e" file

Mesh::info(): unknown format of "guid://b763ae0d431cf8086882bbc7f852c67a35a1a391" file

Mesh::info(): unknown format of "guid://27c687dea0544da58cc3a2c039f6b71f5cf399f2" file

I think I even know reason, before crash I moved these meshes to different folder (of course within Unigine). Crash broke something (probably changes were not saved into guids.db) and now I have all these .meta a .mesh on files system 2x (dont know why). So there is guid conflict. This is very nasty and it is always quite pain to find out these duplicities, so it would be good to always save guid.db (and propagate other realated changes) after any move action. I think file move changes are "saved" only by quiting editor, project save is not enough. 

Edited by demostenes

Hi Jirka,

Since 2.9 release Editor no longer reads guids.db on startup (only .meta files are used), so if you will transfer your meshes (alongside with .meta files) it should not cause any issues.

If possible, could you please prepare a small test scene or provide a more detailed step-by-step guide how to get more stable reproduction?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

1 hour ago, silent said:

Hi Jirka,

Since 2.9 release Editor no longer reads guids.db on startup (only .meta files are used), so if you will transfer your meshes (alongside with .meta files) it should not cause any issues.

If possible, could you please prepare a small test scene or provide a more detailed step-by-step guide how to get more stable reproduction?

Thanks!

Well, I dont know how, it is random. I only noticed, that crash after move action (even one hour after that move action) sometimes causes duplicities on the filesystem and thus guid conflict. Next time it happens, I will investigate more.

Edited by demostenes