Environment, Material general approach

photo

I encounter the issue (especially with foliage), that the environment influence is way too unrealistic on the backside, and shadow side of my materials.

It is the influence of the environment reflection which is applied too strongly in the non lit areas.

What would be a general approach, to adjust this effect?

Would I use local reflection cubemaps? Turn down the environment generally?

Would it make sense, to have a possibility to adjust the 'environment reflection' per material?

Can I do this per material now already?

What is a good concept?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Hi don't know if you use any pre-made leaf assets like quixel or other speedtree or whatever but I often find roughness/spec/metalness to be over the top leading to too reflective materials, so I generally end up editing the maps and also lower/correct multiplier parameters on the materials to avoid such shiny leaves.

Did you also set the Correct Roughness check box in the environment tab to High ?

Maybe it helps.

R

Did you also set the Correct Roughness check box in the environment tab to High ?

What do you mean by that?

I am making all the assests on my own, so I cannot compare premades.

Generally I am more talking about adjusting , if the 'Reflection' in the Environment settings is the right approach, as some elements need more reflection.

The roughness setting is affecting the reflection, but as well the highlight from the light sources.

So my q is, if it would make sense to control the reflection by the environment separate to the light reflections within the material. (I guess that is not what it should be in terms of 'reality'- approach.)

But in situations like that, it would be handy?

Or are there other strategies?

thx.w.

Quick test. Comparison with a local Light Environment Probe added and set to 'dynamic', already reduced the environment reflection in a good way.

Using a baked cubemap even reduces it more.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Edited by werner.poetzelberger