sky gradient banding artefact

photo

Hi,

I'm noticing some very annoying banding artefacts in the sky, no supersampling involved, and I'm just using out of the box provided base, lightcolor an mie textures. Does this problem come from the fact these maps are very low res nor HDRs. 

So what is the best way of getting rid of this gradient banding quantification: increase maps res, use more bit depth (regular scattering luts are simple tga), add some bluenoise... ? This is less noticeable at midday and with cloud layers, but still visible.

Thanks for any advice. 

RSky_banding_artefact.thumb.png.94dae968ec9283cf8db65f49eed3d840.png

Thanks for the test scene.

Indeed there is a color banding occurs. We need some time for investigation. We will take a closer look into this after 2.10 SDK release (right now the whole team is busy with 2.10 SDK stabilization).

As soon as new information arrives from our dev team I will post an update.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

thanks for the feedback, having some nicely dithered sky gradient at dusk and dawn with good atmospheric haze feeling are a must for clean cinematic like mood, and I don't want to rely on static env maps.

Edited by romain.janil

Hi Silent, with this particular world scene setup it's worst with DOF blur, here are 2 pics to compare:S_DOF_true.thumb.png.2ea5118daf71692a880de56f5dd89379.png enabled

S_DOF_false.thumb.png.3430b00ea877bd46ab7e2253169cab8a.pngdisabled

even with a very small blur amount

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...