Create a PATH from 3ds Max / using Spline

photo

Want to be able to use a PATH to guide our Engine camera, to be used with Video Grabber for image exporting.
The 3dsmax plugin isn't working with max 2020, so I tried to create an helix around the object I want to render with the camera and export it in fbx format

image.png.5b35fb57f38712c554af6c00f0f5c4b3.png

but imported in Unigine it's not shown in any way (I suppose was created as zero size object).

There is any other option to achieve this, except coding?

Edited by davide445

Hi, we are using Tracker, but it's simply difficult to setup and change the path one keyframe at time.

Will be possible maybe to parent the camera to a bigger object than a spline, i.e. an helix tube?

On similar topic I was trying to use the World Spline Graph to distribute objects (scaffolding) around my building.

It's a bit difficult to manage the points position, but it's working both using the segments or the points.

For the points I didn't understand how is defined the orientation of the associated nodes, see image the scaffolding need to be parallel to the building.

image.png.1abb6c194599ddb9ddb8e3a67a10b78f.png

Trying to manually rotate the point didn't change the orientation of the associated object.

Also adjusting the tangent didn't have any impact.

It's also not possible to change the object position relative to the point.

I'm finally distributing the scaffolding instances by hand not using the spline at all, but still will be interesting to know how is working.

Edited by davide445

Hi Davide,

At the moment point has no rotation value and you can't affect node position. We'll think of improvements in the future versions.

Manual distributing is a most convenient way to solve your task. Do you know how to use clone shortcuts in the Editor?

Move + Shift creates a clone, Shift + D creates a clone with the same transform used in the first clone operation. I think this will help to scatter scaffoldings.

Thanks.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi morbid

used the first shortcut, didn't know the second, good to know. Used node reference for performance, wasn't able to create clusters, but the performance seems not be affected.

The final result seems pretty good, thanks.frame_3217.thumb.jpg.af7ce417991a15e31fb53d5c95e025f2.jpg

Edited by davide445

Wasnt able to use mesh cluster, RMB+ Create Mesh Cluster on the parent node din't create anything

image.png.52247af081c8a60ab26382b1e5d042b4.png

About the spline will be nice in my opinion to add a circle as pre-made primitive, for other uses than road creation will be useful.

Edited by davide445
38 minutes ago, davide445 said:

Wasnt able to use mesh cluster, RMB+ Create Mesh Cluster on the parent node din't create anything

It works with 8+ identical meshes. All meshes should have similar material.

If it's not the case can create Cluster from a scratch: set to all required objects mesh_base material, then create empty Cluster with required mesh. Then click "Collect" button.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 3 years later...

I know it's very old topic, but I just got this trying to find the same, there is any news for camera following spline with the 2.17?
The only way still tune parameter in tracker?