[SOLVED] Material seems to reflect sky dark area with low roughness

photo

Using a Substance anodized aluminum mat, very simple world with just a plane with ground_gird material applied and my model.

With high Roughness = 1 seems to me realistic in term of reflection color,

image.png.a7ec48b1d87184820f7f202197d73a4e.png

with values around <.7  (more realistic in my opinion related to the real material of the building) seems reflect the far away dark part of the sky (.5 here)

image.png.6a627df840ddc7723ae1c910a5bd19a1.png

image.png.f2d05374637f05c1b8481bccff14d503.png

Tried to set the ground_grid material as Two sided thinking was transparent from behind, but no difference.

What am I doing wrong?

Edited by davide445

Hi!
You need yo use environment probe with baked reflections for this scene. Just place an environment probe, select it and press bake selected lights button in the bake lighting window.
Right now there is only environment reflections in your scene.

• Like 1

Thanks but this seems to didn't change the situation. Or maybe I have the wrong expectations, and need to change something else? 

image.png.f0608eb2361dffaa03f678a955effb3d.png

Roughness = 1

image.png.dafc4c9bf8d74a5daeceac1851ace4ef.png

Roughness = 0.5

image.png.05486d749d6be8ccb5b17ae3b97673f9.png

No probe, R = .5

image.png.d95a6e3ef318f246bf3ba53a3b459044.png

(Btw if you are the one developing SSRTGI I was reading your article, and in fact discovered Unigine searching for a RTGI solution better than Unreal one in fact not RT except for the unfinished LPV, an more usable than CryEngine, so congratulations for your work!)

Edited by davide445

Hi Davide,

Are you using the latest 2.9.0.2 SDK? In default world template we've added an example of Environment probe usage, you can try to add your object to a newly created world and see the difference.

In your case the Environment probe is just to small and it seems that you partially bake the internals of this building (that's why it looks so dark).

Please, check the following tutorials on Lightning setup:

You also can download Samples 2 demo from SDK Browser and check the example with Environment probes placement:

• SDK Browser -> Samples -> Demos -> Samples 2.9.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I'm using 2.8.0.1 since we developed some components on that platform, can I import the example from 2.9 to 2.8?

Just testing LightVoxelProbe, a heavy calculation, didn't see so much speedup increasing the voxel per frame, since my 1070 GPU was already at 92% at 10 voxel per frame there wasn't so much headroom I suppose?

No way to use a secondary GPU to offload this computation?

You can just check the parameters of default nodes in 2.9 world and copy them to your project in 2.8. Samples with Environment probes are also exists in 2.8 SDK and previous.

Just testing LightVoxelProbe, a heavy calculation, didn't see so much speedup increasing the voxel per frame, since my 1070 GPU was already at 92% at 10 voxel per frame there wasn't so much headroom I suppose?

Voxels calculation speedup is only related to the internal volume, so maybe it's not your case.

No way to use a secondary GPU to offload this computation?

I'm afraid, not.

Thanks!

---

Ok this is LightEnvironmentProbe

image.png.c7a1224f61dd23b56b3c1e48cc2b3f29.png

This is LightVoxelProbe

image.png.98a7b0ac0a18797402de73a5fcebf8ed.png

Final result with R=.5

image.png.569086f1116b91fd52ca0ce1d9819a85.png

Better but still dark in my opinion. Bake with 1 Bounce, tried with 3 and nothing change. Both object and terrain are at 0,0,0.

The fact the terrain it's just a plan with ground_grid applied will have any influence?

Edited by davide445

Hi Davide,

You are making the same mistake again :) You don't need to bake Voxel probe to get a reflections. All you need a single Environment Probe with inf radius baked without your builing. After adding a building into the Environment probe volume you will get reflections of checkerboard ground.

Here is the Environment Probe settings (baked without building):

image.png

You need to press Bake Selected Lights once to bake reflections to the cubemap.

Here is the results after enabling this probe:

env_probe_optimized.gif

• Like 1

---