[SOLVED] Developing on Windows, building for Linux

photo

A problem we faced with current project, the 3D development team is Windows based, but the second team that need to actually use the Unigine release for other activities is Linux based, so custom C++ components built on Windows simply didn't work. Example of the custom built components are controls for the weather, time of day, used materials.

Developers didn't have experience on Linux, asking if there is a smooth workflow that enable to code on Windows and next build both for Windows (to test the result on 3D team Windows machines) and also for Linux (for the second team).

Of course the simplest solution will be to align the second team on Windows but this is not a fast task, since there are provisioning times for new machines and also their limited experience on that OS.

Edited by davide445

Hi Davide,

The only way to achieve this is to use some universal build system (for example, CMake) and write a script that will build both Windows and Linux versions. This approach implies some basic Linux and CMake knowledge.

When some changes are made to the sources you should update CMake script and test on both systems.

Thanks!

• Like 1

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I know it's not evolved anymore, but using UnigineScript can still make sense for that kind of settings that need to be done in a property file and used running the project: sun rotation, enabling/disabling clouds, rain and snow, changing render settings (i.e. SSRTGI on/off), changing materials?

Being interpreted we will not need to care about the target platform, simplifying the whole workflow.

We have made the development in 2.8, so I suppose the point is if we need less time in porting to 2.9 and switch from C++ to C# or port to UnigineScript. 

Being C# component system just released my guess is we will have less troubles with UnigineScript, but for sure the C# option is more future proof. 

Edited by davide445