How to create morphing between skinned characters?

photo

Hey,

I have the following idea:

I have one skinned character with a specific mesh and skeleton as well animation sets.

I have a second character, which has different proportions (body dimensions) for the skeleton, animations, which match onto that skeleton and a mesh.

I want to morph/blend between the two characters with the least visible glitches over a certain time.

So I need to blend between the 2 skeletons and the mesh (skin) and the animation sets.

We have some ideas how it might work, and I guess we can 'fake' transitions like blending meshes over each other. (Thats the last thing we want to do)

The ideal thing would be, that there is one character, which morphs into the other or vice versa.

Scaling (or moving) bones to adjust the skeleton would be doable, the skinning would adjust according the new positions.

So the skinning would have to be blended as well to match the new mesh and vertex positions (thats probably not so easy to do).

There are definitely a lot things to consider, so I want to ask, if someone has done something like that before or if there are ideas about such a task.

Thx Werner

Right.

We also have not really a reference. We are working on it.

Ja, some mixture of existing techniques, morphing, blending will be our first tries.

Will keep you updated here.

Cheers.

Werner