How to make realistic detailed grass

photo

On 4/30/2019 at 4:11 PM, werner.poetzelberger said:

Whats the difference in performance between those 2 and when should we use World/Mesh Clutter?

Werner, sorry, I forgot to answer your question.

MeshClutter gives you better performance boost because it batches 1 mesh and 1 material. The same with MeshClusterWorldClutter can scatter any node, but it can't utilize batching as effectively as MeshClutter. The same with WorldCluster.

In general, It's better to use MeshClutter and MeshCluster when it's possible.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

grasssda2.JPG

Still not a very sophisticated texture but buts getting better.

grasssda3.JPG

grasssda4.JPG

Edited by werner.poetzelberger
  • Like 2

Hi Werner,

this grass looks great!
I am just a bit confused after reading the topic - is it a Grass object on the pictures above, or polygons? Which approach did you choose at the end?

Hey,

I am using the polygon approach for the bigger plants/long grass.

I started with the grass/billboard option at the beginning, but didnt succeed. So for the more complex objects, the polygon approach seems to be the better choice.

For a low grass lawn, it seems, that the grass/billboard object is doing pretty well in performance and visuals.

The bigger advantage is of the grass object is, that if I want to fill areas with grass, you can design the masks conveniently and tune the options a bit more precise.

I need to look at the polygon grass option again a bit more in depth, maybe I find some better options.

Always a lot of testings when it comes to a new scene.

best.w.

• 9 months later...