Share your feedback about UNIGINE

photo

Dear customers,

We really need your feedback on working with UNIGINE. It helps us move forward and make our technology better meeting your high requirements.

We would like more people to learn about our technology and choose it for their innovative developments. Therefore, we have added UNIGINE to several software catalogues. We appreciate your opinion and your expertise might be useful for other people. Please, leave a review and help make the UNIGINE community wider.

How to do it:

1. Choose the catalogue you like. Here is a list:
  2. Sign in via Linkedin
  3. Answer several questions
  4. Submit

Thank you!

• Like 2
  • morbid pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

We would appreciate you feedback a lot. If you like UNIGINE - please vote on the sites from the list above or share info on your experience with friends.

• Like 1

Did the first two to help, but boy these sites are terribly needy and hungry for useless information with nothing to give back. Who checks these sites, who trusts the info there?

• Like 1

Maybe it would be good idea to prepare some "epic" cinematic demo like Book of the dead, Heretic, Megacity....In your case it could be some flying/space/scifi short movie to demonstrate capabilities of engine, show new planet, etc...These things are very often going viral and you can build lot of content around it. Write tons of articles how it was done, how you prepared assets, optimized and tuned scenes, provide content from this demo in asset store for free, offer this as new benchmark....I think it really works, it is not without reason why for example Unity is doing this.

When we were searching for better engine long time ago (2011?), it was Valley demo preview which caught our attention, not reviews on some wierd sites.

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 4
9 hours ago, demostenes said:

Maybe it would be good idea to prepare some "epic" cinematic demo like Book of the dead, Heretic, Megacity....In your case it could be some flying/space/scifi short movie to demonstrate capabilities of engine, show new planet, etc...These things are very often going viral and you can build lot of content around it. Write tons of articles how it was done, how you prepared assets, optimized and tuned scenes, provide content from this demo in asset store for free, offer this as new benchmark....I think it really works, it is not without reason why for example Unity is doing this.

When we were searching for better engine long time ago (2011?), it was Valley demo preview which caught our attention, not reviews on some wierd sites.

I totally agree on demos, but it takes more time.

We are working on standalone releases for Oil Refinery, Fox Hole and Mars demos - I think this will help to promote the technology.

• Like 6

Unigine seems very intuitive. In just one week I learned many things:
I created a landscape with clouds, sky, water and a car with unions.
I am implementing the programming for the car.

The visual effects seem to me excellent:
the lights with their rays, tha water with his caustic, foam, coast line and reflections and refractions.

These days will make a video of what I have managed to do in just one week.

I've seen some demos and examples, and I look very illustrative.
The documentation seems very good to me.

I wish there was a demo of a car created in the editor and programmed only part of the keyboard that is what I'm doing from scratch.

Thank you.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hi All, I've been developing games using UE4 (C++) and Unity (C#) for the past five years and to be honest I have been dissatisfied with both engines for a number of different reasons. Fore the past couple of months I have been searching for another games engine.  I was watching GamefromScratch youtube channel and he previewed Unigine Engine. I installed it a few days ago and I was completely blown away by it. The graphics in my opinion are better than the other engines I was using. The IDE is nothing short of a really professional working environment and I can easily find things without having to go to the docs. Except for defaulting to a world. Is there any reason there can't be a config section where you default to a game world instead of having to use a console command. This is not a deal breaker as the rest of the IDE is fantastic. I love having the choice of C++ and C#, my preference is C# and the whole structure of the engine is great. The way the engine implements threading is so easy. Using Unigine is a joy to use and I have uninstalled the other two and my focus is now 100% on this engine. I do a lot of VR develop and the visual on Unigine are amazing so much better than anything else i have used. The documentation is great and the videos are good as well just need a few more. Once I get up to speed I am going to put a tutorial on Udemy to give this engine more traction and get it to a wider audience it really deserves it. Well done to everyone at Unigine you have created an absolutely amazing engine. 

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

The Unigine ide is the best I have seen in years, quite stable, fast and easy to use. I know that the visual shader editor is on its way to 2.14, it is the only missing piece to be considered the best engine so far...

The vehicle physics is the most stable and easiest to implement that I've ever used, I had nightmares trying to make a simple vehicle work on Unity and I never got a satisfactory result also I'm using Unigine on Ubuntu 20.04 and the performance is wonderful (much better than Windows 10 and I don't know why? Opengl optimized?).

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I think this is one the simplest, best and very intuitive game engine i have ever used . my only complaint is . the community edition of the engine is crippled with disabilities hidden under a very costly price. How do you expect the community to grow when you disable the community version with the ONLY feature that sets you apart from other game engines?! Its really sad and disappointing . You guys are just killing yourself i guess. It would be a shame that such an engine is laid to waste and not used extensively while other bloatware engines are all marketing their ass off!! 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/22/2020 at 3:21 PM, leonardo.antunes said:

This is the best game engine for Linux! Thanks for supporting it. Waiting for Vulkan, and maybe more platforms.

For Linux or Windows agreed. However I am worried that the Vulkan implementation will take too long and kneecap our release. Open GL is not an option for us because it lacks the visual quality we need. More platforms means more market and Vulkan would be a great step towards opening the UNIGINE market.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:49 PM, daniel.anthony said:

Open GL is not an option for us because it lacks the visual quality we need.

Just curious, what you cant do in OGL?

• 1 month later...

Hello friends! 

I've recently pitched Unigine to one of the companies I work for! I'm a big admirer of Unigine for a decade!

They got so impressed with the existing demos that ordered a Vs exercise.

I made in Blender and loaded the exact same assets on Unigine and Unreal, assembled the exact same scene in both and in the end written a detailed report about the two results. I've gave my best to have the most open mind possible and disregard any pre-established personal preference. I previously was used to work with Unity by the way.

Unarguably Unigine gives:

• Much better graphics results (even disregarding that works flawlessly on Linux which ain't the case of Unreal) and to me personalty feels easier and more intuitive to work with.
  • Much easier to save. Unreal forces one to save in half of dozen different places while in Unigine we just save and it's done (exactly as I expect any software to work).
  • Unigine materials are easier to load because it recognizes the ones already in use, so new objects with the same material use the existing one (awesome), while Unreal may also do that but in the time frame given I couldn't figure out how, so had to re-assign the materials all the time, for it to use just one.
  • Felt easier to accurately position the assets.
  • Better organizes the assets and, for example a multiple object asset appears by default as just one on the content browser (with sub-objects accessible but not all visible in a place we don't want to see them). 
  • Works surprisingly good with assets made in Blender, even things like blender lamps load just fine. LODs are easy to make for Unigine in Blender, while for Unreal requires an empty with codes...
  • All volumetric effects (from volumetric clouds to sun rays and such) are much better and easier to work with. Because they are an object, It's so easy to position them exactly were we want them! Perfect! 

In the end Everyone agreed that Unigine had the better graphics, easier to work with, cleaner/professional and well organized interface, etc. so... the only possible conclusion was that Unigine has won the Vs fight! And this was in my report!

But it actually didn't :( 

In the end the final decision went to Unreal, by the simple facts that:

• Unreal has less restrictions when deploying the final output and supports more platforms (this considering the free versions).
  • Unreal has a bigger name, it's easier to pitch a project made in Unreal, which everyone has heard of it (specially from the StarWars TV show "Mandalorian" , "Fortnight" game and that UE5 demo), than risk in a "mostly unheard" (by the investors, which aren't tech persons) engine . 
  • Unreal has more compatible 3rd party plug-ins from several other technologies that may be required for the projects (this again due the fame).

My ultimate conclusion is:

To me is clear that you guys have the strongest engine! ...It's time to show it to everyone in a clear and impacting way! :)

Edited by rogerio.perdiz
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, rogerio.perdiz said:

Hello friends! 

My ultimate conclusion is:

To me is clear that you guys have the strongest engine! ...It's time to show it to everyone in a clear and impacting way! :)

While I agree with your points, there are also some pros and cons missing. The most important thing is, that Unigine is only engine on the market, which can handle unlimited world without rewriting half of engine. Unlimited terrain and seamless asset streaming is TOUGH thing to implement (to not have any spikes, lags and crashes). If you want to do open world game, there is simply no other engine on the market, which can do this out of box (and 3rd party products from assets store are never proper solution).

Both Unreal and Cryengine carry FPS legacy, so worlds bigger than some number (if i remember well 8x8km) are quite problematic (memory leaks,crashes...). Other important thing is speed and stability.

Unigine is MUCH faster than Unity and somewhat faster then UE. Stability is also incomparable to Unity (this engine simply crashes all the time once you start to consume more HW resources). Also smaller and more proffesional community is big plus, nobody needs forum full of kids trashtalk and questions about total basics. These are IMHO the most important points you need to metion, when you promo Unigine.

BUT, there also also cons which is fair to mention:

The current biggest weakness of Unigine is proper "tooling". Artist needs are covered by far better in UE. River and road tool (functional spline tools), vertex painter, various tools for mesh modifications, hell you can even sculpt meshes there like in zbrush. Integrated tools like simplygon, etc, etc....Majority of these things are not that needed, or you can do it outside of engine, but having these in engine just on click is always plus and having 100 small + makes quite a difference.  Being open source can be plus under some circumstances too.

Other big Unigine pain is animation system (lack off). No support for root motion, lack of animation system like Mecanim, you have to implement it yourself.

And finally HUGE HUGE HUGE advantage of UE is Quixel. You have all Quixel assets for free. This could be game changer, especially if you are indie with no resources.

So the comparison is really not that simple and it VERY depends on the company and type of product you want to make.

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Hey @demostenes I totally agree with all your points!

Some I just didn't mentioned them myself because I didn't remembered or weren't relevant to the test I made (such as animations because it was a static scene). But yes, I make yours my words too. Perfect comment! 

• 6 months later...

Это круто!!! И они сделали так, чтобы при трансформации объектов менялись их физические свойства. И я хотел бы очень, очень хорошую подборку на PS4-PS5, XBOX и NINTENDO SWITCH!!!

• Like 1

I tried Unigine and I'm very impressed by the engine. The water and weather with time of day looks really amazing. It's great to have an 64bit floating point precision (unfortunately not with the indie version) . These are really big pro's for Unigine, also complete feature-set of Unigine and the C# support.

I used Unity for an longer time now and I really hate the different Render Pipelines and the high rate of new releases (in the tech stream every one or two weeks). It's really hard to maintain for an indie developer. The Unigine editor feels a way better and faster than Unity's.

But the biggest con as an indie developer is the price of Unigine. Especially I need 64bit floating point precision or large world support for my project. And Unreal's new version 5 (currently the Github version only) has also 64bit floating point precision. So unfortunately Unreal will the way to go for my upcoming project. But I really like Unigine and will follow the development.

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Great engine, few super-important points as for indie user:
- Visual/node scripting with your script language
- Mobile and Console platforms support
- More exotic, but might help to get way more users: native .blend files support|
- Maybe, just maybe, invest in some Udemy/Skillshare course development. For example "Make FPS with Unigine", etc etc. Contact gamedev.tv team or some other famous gamedev course makers. 
- Don't hide features from Sim version, there is no reason to do so if you want more users really. Other than that, your pricing policy is super great.

Thanks and all the best to your team in your hard work!

Edited by moontechnique
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I downloaded Unigine to give it a try and these are the things which discouraged me after few minutes of using it:

1. No way to create editor tools with C# - construct, place, modify objects etc.
2. Editor should have power saving option. There should be an option to pause or slow down rendering. In Unreal there is "Real time off" option.
3. Simple thing like mouse paning is buggy. When mouse goes out on one side and comes back on the other side of the screen, camera should continue moving in the same direction not jump back.
4. Editor looks bad on 4k monitor with dpi scale set to 150%. Ugly icons. Visual material editor looks terrible - looks like rendered in low res texture.
5. Some things in examples just don't work and they look kinda outdated.

First impression is avarage comparing to Unity and Unreal.

terrible.jpg

nitrooo

Thanks for the feedback!

In the upcoming update (2.15.1) we improved a bit HiDPI and Editor behavior, but with material graph I guess you can simply zoom in and out to get a bigger texts. Or I'm missing something? Disabling realtime previews update for material graph is also in our TODO list.

Since Editor is also built with Qt, right now the only way to write a plugins using C++ / Qt, but we are working on a better Editor extensibility and someday I think it would be possible to write a C# plugins for Editor as well.

Regarding following ones:

3. Simple thing like mouse paning is buggy. When mouse goes out on one side and comes back on the other side of the screen, camera should continue moving in the same direction not jump back.

5. Some things in examples just don't work and they look kinda outdated.

Could you please show us how camera is moving in your case (maybe in a short video)? Looks like everything is fine on my PC, no jumping or whatsoever. Also if you can specify the exact samples that didn't work - it would be great.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 1 month later...

While the "Metaverse" is mostly hype/BS, there is no doubt that Browsers/JavaScript are a dead end and won't be able to make the next tech leap. (I always feel like I'm in the 80's again programing batch files on an 8088). A prerequisite for the `verse is 3D. An intermediate step is 3D in the browser. Unigine seems better positioned (from a technology perspective) than any other tool to become the "Engine of the Metaverse". (You should copywrite that, and yes, I'll take a free sim license for giving that to you :)).

The headless rendering is especially ahead of the game for thins application.

As Unigine is more an engineering tool than gaming tool, with a solid rep, I think that type of approach fits well with your overall business model.

While it looks like the strategy for headless is oriented more towards distributed rendering, I think some effort on streaming integration would be worthwhile.

A gap I do see is in content creation capabilities. RealSoft3D might be a good strategic partner in that area. They seem to have a similar overall technology mindset and are geographically close (Finland).

Just my 2C.

• Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Я знать не знал что у нас оказывается есть такой крутой движок!! У меня только один вопрос, когда появится маркетплейс как на юнити или анрил?)) у меня есть в продаже пара проектов 3д сцен на анрил и юнити, я бы и сюда их хотел выложить))

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Xopek3D said:

Я знать не знал что у нас оказывается есть такой крутой движок!! У меня только один вопрос, когда появится маркетплейс как на юнити или анрил?)) у меня есть в продаже пара проектов 3д сцен на анрил и юнити, я бы и сюда их хотел выложить))

Добрый день!

Ассет стор ожидается вскоре, вероятно - уже этим летом. Следите за обновлениями :)

Спасибо!