Crash corrupted shader cache

photo

After unigine random crash (2.7.3.0), I wasnt able to start editor, it always crashed just after start, before asset check. Error in log was following:

21:38:51 World loading "db/db.world" 270ms
21:39:01 Memory::allocate(): Can't allocate 108454972320 bytes

But start in debug mode was OK, so I ve found out, that crash corrupted shader cache. After deleting this file it started properly. Question is, if it possible to somehow prevent this, but at least this report can help other users what to do in such case.

We had similar issues with script cache getting corrupted (not even with a Unigine upgrade), very annoying indeed as it crashes without a decent error message and you spend some time debugging before you, as a last resort, try to delete all cache files and it's magically fixed. No idea what would trigger it, but we had it on multiple occasions on multiple computers with both script and shader cache files.

7 hours ago, morbid said:

Is corrupted cache file lost? Any hints on how to reproduce this?

Probably crash was caused by shader compilation but's just a guess. Maybe you remember a location where it crashed?

Thanks.

I ve deleted it. Probably no way to reproduce, it was some random crash related to asset operation (these are happening quite a lot), not some fixed world location... If this happens again, I will keep the cache and send it to you.

Edited by demostenes