Useful Terrain Tools

photo

Hi Silent

Thanks a lot for the help. I had to zip it, otherwise I wasn't allowed to upload the file.

I already changed in the header file the pgm file specification from P2 (plain pgm) to P5. And this helped for displaying a noise height model. But I can't get it to look like the a real height model, even with playing around with the maximal height and LOD params.

elevationData_1025x1025_pgm_A1.zip

Yes, I tried different formats. The GlobalMapper has a a lot of different export formats for gridded elevation data, but the most doesn't fit for Unigine (from my understanding..). I tried PNG, TER, JPEG and PGM without success. So I thought a raw data format, could fit our needs.

I extract the data in meters, could this be a source of problems? And it seems to me, that all 16bit pictures exported from Global mapper look the same in the imageviewer.

Hi Paul,

I was able to import binary *.pgm file (not ascii, which was exported originally from Global Mapper) as a terrain heightmap. I've used IrfanViewer to conver ascii *.pgm to binary *.pgm.

Could you please try to resave exported *.pgm file into different file format (*.png or *.pgm)? Just use binary encoding.

Unfortunately, converted images have R8 format, not R16.

UPD #1:
With a little help of ImageMagick I was able to convert R16 *.pgm to R16 *.png and import this *.png as a terrain heightmap. ImageMagick with 16 bits-per-pixel support convert command:

• convert.exe pgm_heights.pgm -depth 16 outfile.png

Thanks!

test_binary_pgm.zip

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Silent

Thanks a lot for the support. I'm able now to import the height models from Global Mapper.

There's still a problem with the accurancy of the data, but this relies on our 1km-data-resolution... Which tool did you use to create and import the height model, the diffuse texture and the normal map when you were creating the washington or the california scenery?

Kind regards

• 5 months later...

Hi there

Do you have a useful tool for creating 16bit maps (or so...) from vectorial land use data? Which approach did you use for creating the raw data for the coasts, cities, vegetations in Port Angeles?

Kind regards,

Renato

Hi Renato,

We are using WorldMachine with combination of GlobalMapper and CityEngine to genereate whole set of the terrain + roads + vegetation data. We are preparing a tutorial about Port Angeles workflow right now (I believe it would be available with the stable Unigine 2.0 release). In few words:

• Terrain heights are generated in Global Mapper;
  • Terrain vegetation informatin is taken from Land Cover: http://www.usgs.gov/pubprod/maps.html, exported via Global Mapper toi images;
  • Normals, terrain materials and objects masks are created with WorldMachine (using the data from previous two steps);

Thanks!

• Like 1

---

Hi Andrey

Sorry, but there are still some open questions... In the City Plugin description is mentioned to prepare to types of content, namely

• Nodes for Cluster Layers.
  • Materials for Decal and Mesh Layers.

How should I approach this task?

In Port Angeles you have the raw data for the roads exported from the CityEngine, I suppose. But I can't figure out how you connected that to the node file the CityPlugin wants...

Kind regards,

Renato

Just to specify:

I think my *.node file which serves as basis for the City Import plugin doesn't contain the needed placeholders, planes and shapes as described in the docu. But I can't figure out how to create them. Can we export the data from CityEngine directly or do we have to use a second DCC tool or is an Unigine Editor capable of it?

I tried to check, the node file you used in Port Angeles, but it isn't present.. =(

Hope you can help,

Renato

I tried to check, the node file you used in Port Angeles, but it isn't present.. =(

All the meshes and node from Port Angeles demo are inside this archive: https://drive.unigine.com/f/7140df9601/

We are using custom CItyEngine export script (in attachment) that generates such kind of meshes. You can use any other software and write custom scripts to generate meshes like this for further usage with City Import plugin.

Thanks!

cityExport.zip

---

Hi Andrey

Sorry, to continue with this topic... :rolleyes:

Did you already create this specific set of objects, as described in the City Import Plugin, in the CityEngine? If I understand this right, we have to adjust the *.cga files of the CityEngine to replace the buildings with the simple one-polygon triangles for the building and so on.. Right?

Kind regards,

Renato

post-1459-0-72676000-1422019023_thumb.png

Hmmm...

And what do we do for different kind of buildings? There is only one placeholder, isn't it? Is it possible to handle several layers for the different kind of buildings? You didn't create the 3D buildings for the CityEngine, those are linked in the Unigine's CityPlugin?

kind regards,

Renato

Hi Andrey

I'm still trying to import something with the CityPlugin. Unfortunately without success.

I'm using your marker.obj, which I export from the CityEngine (to go the complete way to generate real cities) into a mesh file. From the CityEngine I get the two files (.nodes and .mesh), both are in the attachement. From there I go to the CityPlugin, I create a new City with the node file. As soon as I assign the node file it turns white.

Then I create a Cluster and assign a surface and a node to it. I just get 1x "Select City Surfaces", and I don't know where I get this from and how I can create an other one? But okay, not so important for now...

The City Layer changes after the assignement the color as well to white. So far so good, isn't it?

When I now click on "Generate", I get the following error and I have to close the application...

Do you see where I make the error?

Kind regards,

Renato

myMarker.zip

log.html

And what do we do for different kind of buildings? There is only one placeholder, isn't it?

You can easily change the name of placeholder and assign different kind of building in City Import pluin.

I will check your attached files and report back.

Thanks!

---

Is it possible to handle several layers for the different kind of buildings?

Yes, it is possible, please check the Layer Editing section. Different city surfaces are represent different kind of objects. If you open any *.mesh file from this link in MeshViewer you can notice that this mesh have a lot of identical triangles with different surfaces names. 

city_surfaces.png

I'm using your marker.obj, which I export from the CityEngine (to go the complete way to generate real cities) into a mesh file.

You can replace only single object with that marker, because it contains single surface "CityEngineShapeMaterial". To replace more object you should generate a mesh with more than 1 surface.

Then I create a Cluster and assign a surface and a node to it. I just get 1x "Select City Surfaces", and I don't know where I get this from and how I can create an other one? But okay, not so important for now...

Sorry, but I can't undestand what do you mean.

You didn't create the 3D buildings for the CityEngine, those are linked in the Unigine's CityPlugin?

I'm afriad you should create different kind of buildings for different placeholders in external DCC tool. They don't generate automatically.

When I now click on "Generate", I get the following error and I have to close the application...

Do you see where I make the error?

Sorry, can't reproduce. There is something wrong with your world script (napf_v1.0.0.0.cpp). I've tried in empty world and Port Angeles.

I've tried your marker and get following result (replaced this marker with a single node of a car from City Traffic sample):

city_import_2.jpg

Thanks!

---

Hey Renato,

I had a look at the error and looks like you're trying to use CityImport plugin right in the middle of your simulation (I noticed the word IG in the log). It's better to create content on a single PC and then use prepared stuff in your IGs.

Also, Andrey wrote a very nice answer above.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

I created the same example with Andrey's description in an empty world. I realize now that I sent you the wrong log file... Sorry for that!

I can create the example as well in my world after exchanging the Unigine_x64.dll. When I'm using the one from Port Angeles (don't ask me why, I tried this... :wacko:), I get the following errors in the log file. Some how i messed up my installations.. Just to understand it better, what is the rough content of the above mentioned dll?

Kind regards,

Renato

eligine_log.html

Hi,

*.tmd file with required source data you can download from this link: https://drive.unigine.com/f/590b84747e/

Please, take note that the latest WorldMachine version is required (3.0 dev3). Also, it may need to select the right paths for the input data (give a correct path to the portangeles_heightmap, portangeles_lakes, portangeles_landcover directories) and surface patterns (surface_details directory).

Thanks!

---