Useful Terrain Tools

photo

Hey Samir

I remember that, we bought the version 2.3 with the professional edition and the 3.0 is a dev release which you get together with the 2.3 professional edition.

When you buy the professional edition, you get two exe: "WM237_Professional.exe" and "WM3DEV3_Professional"

Then you are able to start open the above mentioned tmd file.

Regards,

Renato

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Now I have WM 3dev3, but I still meet some problems to export some outpout textures in the terrain_refinement exemple project: the msg is

"This device is not connected properly. Double check that you have connected the primary input to your network!"

I have changed anything,  I think I have loaded every texture... (even some surface_details textures in the Macros)... but still have links dotted in my network.

http://snag.gy/D9n73.jpg

Why it is sometime impossible and sometimes possible to connect Land Cover Map to Land Cover Splat (Macro) ? it depends on what?

What's wrong with Vegetation Mask Macro, or what's wrong with this network opened in my computer ?

http://snag.gy/onGlC.jpg

Hi,

It seems that you've somehow changed relations between block. Please, check the coorect hierarchy in attached screenshot (wm_1.png).

And when you specifying import files, please make sure that after reimport all the initial settings are correct (wm_2.png). Sometimes WorldMachine just resetting them to defaults.

Thanks!

wm_1.png

wm_2.png

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 6 months later...

Hi everyone,

I have height data (DEM digital elevation data) and satellite imagery of a large area now,and both DEM and satellite imagery are in the format of .tif, how can i use these datas to creat an terrain node in the unigine2.0 's editor, please tell me the detail work flow ,many thanks.

Tons of descriptions for GIS data preparation (reprojection, resampling, tiling, etc) for game engine import available on the internet, data import into Unigine engine described in the documentation...searching and reading is your friend :)

• 1 year later...

Hi Silent

Thanks a lot for the support. I'm able now to import the height models from Global Mapper.

There's still a problem with the accurancy of the data, but this relies on our 1km-data-resolution... Which tool did you use to create and import the height model, the diffuse texture and the normal map when you were creating the washington or the california scenery?

Kind regards

Hi Paul,

I meet the same problem with you, can you share the steps for  import the height models from Global Mapper.

All the meshes and node from Port Angeles demo are inside this archive: https://drive.unigine.com/f/7140df9601/

We are using custom CItyEngine export script (in attachment) that generates such kind of meshes. You can use any other software and write custom scripts to generate meshes like this for further usage with City Import plugin.

Thanks!

attachicon.gifcityExport.zip

We are working on a procedural city pipeline and right now I am struggling to get a road network from CityEngine into Unigine using the City Import plugin.

I have imported a open street map file (.osm) into CityEngine and can export it as an .obj just fine using the standard export options.  However when I try and use the export script attached in this thread I get errors when a rule is applied and unable to create the required .node and .mesh files out of my CityEngine project. Even if I find a configuration of the data that does not result in errors, I am still not getting any exported files when using the script.

Do you have a step by step list of what needs to be done to go from importing a .osm file into CityEngine to exporting the .node & .mesh files required by the City Import plugin? 

I tried to follow the discussion in this thread but I am missing something. What do I need to do in order to get the cityExport.py script working as intended?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Interested on the topic with the goal to  reduce the budget and complexity. 

I was aware about Cityengine, powerful but expensive and really complex tool. There are no other alternatives? 

Also there are experiences in using i. E. QGIS instead of GlobalMapper, or Blender-osm, or also World Creator instead of World Machine? 

Edited by davide445

World creator is IMHO not mature for real use. It was very perspective thanks to GPU usage, but direction of its developoment roadmap does not make any sense to me. For example getting there custom height map is quite problem, ratio size/resolution is fixed to several steps (1px1=1, 1px = 2m, 1px = 4m etc), so if you have for example 4096px height map for 12km terrain, you cant get it there. I was asking them to do something with that more than year ago (beacuse any other tool can do this and you need to have your terrain 1:1 with engine), but as far as I know, nothing happend (I didnt checked latest version though). Last year they were mostly focused on its rendering capabilities (WHY???? - game developers render in their engine and environmental artists in VUE or similar), instead of adressing real issues. Also World Machine still produces  much better results (errosions simply looks more natural), so this tool is now dead for me. 

On the other side if you want to make height map there and you are ok with power of two ratio, it can be very good for prototyping sice GPU usage. Anyway I would stick with WM, because it can do anything you need, any output you want.

You can also try L3DT, author is very cooperative, so reasonable feature request is usually possible and texturing is very comfortable (you can simply create terrain diffuse texture from textures, not just colors). Our map was created in WM and textured in L3DT: http://www.endor.cz/demo/endor.png

Edited by demostenes
  • Like 1

Thanks @demostenes really interesting what you say, also good to know L3DT perfect for experimenting.

Did you have any suggestion for importing real roads? I suppose I can export the heightmaps from some service and import in L3DT, but adding roads can be a problem.

17 minutes ago, davide445 said:

Thanks @demostenes really interesting what you say, also good to know L3DT perfect for experimenting.

Did you have any suggestion for importing real roads? I suppose I can export the heightmaps from some service and import in L3DT, but adding roads can be a problem.

No, we are preparing roads directly in engine by hand (decals/road tool).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, davide445 said:

And what about buildings generation? Did you use CityEngine?

No, manual building of everything, from prefabricated pieces, just like lego :) We are creating game, not sim.

• 1 year later...