Alembic

photo

Any ideas about that?

http://www.alembic.io/index.html

I am just asking as UE and Unity has it implemented and if anyone here in the community would make use of the features of that format.

Dont know too much about that and would be interested if someone uses it?

(We made some kind of mesh streaming format for animations, but for a different engine, which came in quite handy (could do anything you want , blendshapes, postbone transforms etc...) and then play the final baked anim in the engine.)

Best.

Werner

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

With the new particles release I was thinking since a while Alembic support will be nice, since you can animate them elsewhere using a physics engine and next render them in Unigine using the power of the new shaders.

Not sure anyway this is really needed for this community, but for sure will be nice. Probably a new powerful multithreaded/GPU based physics engine will be more used for the hard users of Unigine, doing high end simulation.

Looking at AMD FEMFX as cross-platform example, even if not usable probably with particles, or maybe the ProjectChrono that is supporting also granular flow (using CUDA for this so not cross platform), not sure about the performances. Having it in the editor and tweak a simulation integrated with other components and next just exporting it in Alembic to be used in realtime will be cool. Having not worked on Unigine physics engines I didn't know how much they already provide on this topic.

Edited by davide445

Some limited Alembic import functionality should already exist in the Autodesk FBX SDK (vertex cache import only). We didn't try to use this yet.

If you can provide some real-life examples of alembic files - we probably can test and see if this feature is working or not.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...