[SOLVED] Precision in skinned object

photo

I have 2 skinned objects, one is the skin, ine is the eye.

Both are animated, just a simple headturn for now.

The vertex-positions are moving during animation.

In Maya, the position is stable.

I know, that the model is big (approximately 20 m), because I modeled in cm in Maya.

So I think, it might be the scaling? 

unfortunately I am not able to figure out a scaling, which works.

Are there any ideas about precision and skinned mesh, animations?

Thanks.

Werner

frame0.JPG

frame1.JPG

Hmmm. I have investigated further.

I have managed to scale the model and animations, but there is no difference in the result.

But I found out, that there is a difference in the Editor and in the Resource viewer.

As well in the screenshot, that in the Editor you can see, that the axis are off- In the resource viewer, the axis seem to match and there is no offset in the mesh itself.

frameb0.JPG

frameb1.JPG

frameb2.JPG

Right.

Maybe I explained it to complicated.

Basically there are 3 skinned meshes, all using the same skeleton and the same animation in Maya.

1 skinned mesh for the bird, 1 for left eye, 1 for right eye. 

When I export them using one fbx file, and i play the animation which comes with the skinned meshes, I get an offset in Rotation, as you see in the screenshots.(axis differences)

But it seems to be an offset in the bones (skeleton) itself rather than in the mesh (as I supected first).

The screenshot from the resource editor seems to work, but I suspect, that there is just a single mesh and different surface, rather than 3 objects.

thx.

Werner

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

I've filed a bug to our internal bug tracker about this behavior. It will be fixed in the upcoming 2.8 SDK update.

Right now there is no workaround other than using the 2.7.2.x SDK (or manually patch FBXImporter plugin in 2.7.3.x and return it's state to the 2.7.2.x).

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hello Silent,

thats correct!

Hmm. for some reason this differs to result I have tested before.

But probably i made some mistake. I replaced the whole character and it does show the correct eye. hm. This is good I guess :)))

Super, so I dont need to wait for 2.8. Hurra

What does that option do?

Edited by werner.poetzelberger

Hi Werner,

I just copy-paste from docs, if you don't mind :)

Enables changing orientation of bones for animations and animated geometry. When enabled, all bones will have the same forward axis as the geometry. This simplifies work with animations via code for programmers reducing excessive axis manipulations: if a mesh has +Y as a forward axis, the bones will have +Y as well.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] Precision in skinned object
  • 1 month later...