'scripts' folder missed in Editor

photo

Hi all,

It only happens with last Unigine version (2.7.3) at least in Windows. Looks like the scripts folders, and its content, are ignored by UnigineEditor. This makes UnigineEditor to do not detect these resources and to not create its corresponding meta files.

To reproduce this behaviour just:

• Create a new project (ni my case UnigineScript project)
  • Create a scripts folder in the editor.
  • Create a script file (.h) in scripts folder.
  • (This file is not detected by editor).
  • Close editor.
  • Start editor again (the scripts folder is not visible in assets browser).

Regards,
Iván.

Hi Iván,

scripts folder ignored in the root of data folder or any other subfolders too? scripts directory is indeed included in ignore list since it rather a core directory (like editor2 for example).

Is there any inconvenience with that behavior on your side?

Thanks! 

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thanks for the answer Silent.

It applies for scripts subfolders too (in fact this is the real problem). You can create it, but next time  you open the editor, the folder and its content is ignored.

There is no problem ignoring core folders, maybe Unigine Editor should prevent the user to do this action.

But apart of <data>/scripts case...
Actually UnigineEditor ignores <data>/my_folder/scripts too. I think this is not convenient because, for example, I can't assign a file in a WorldExpression.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hi again.

Looks like this problem can be reproduced with mount points.

Tested with Unigine Editor 2.10 in Windows.

• Create a new Unigine 2.10.0.2 project.
  • Create a mount point.
  • In the mounted folder, try to create a subfolder called core, scripts or editor2. The application restores the default name.
  • In the explorer, create one of these subfolders inside the referenced folder and restart editor. The subfolders are not shown, and its files are not processed.

Regards,
Iván.

I guess, you see the following error in console:

"AssetManager::renameDir: new name is reserved. (New name: S:/your/path/New mount/core)"

If so, we would take a look at this use-case. I can't guarantee right now if we will have much time to fix this in the upcoming 2.11 release.

---

Hi Silent,

You're right, that error message is shown in console.
It's not a critical issue, we can wait for 2.11 because we expect to upgrade our project to this version. Anyway, when do you estimate to release this version?

There might be a small possibility that mount points are mounted into the <root> directory, so the restriction for the folders name applies here as well. If so, I'm afraid there will be hard times fixing it :)

2.11 is planned for mid-March (but the fix for this issue may be not included, since the whole release is already planned).

You still can create folders in the subfolders inside mounts, like this <my_mount>/my_dir1/scripts.

---

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately, the fix for this issue is not currently possible (while the core directory and other system-reserved files are located inside the user data directory). We do have a couple of research tasks on how to get rid of the engine-specific files inside the data directory, but it will take some time to verify and test different approaches.

So the current workaround is to create a additional folder in the mount and store scripts dir inside or rename the scripts directory to avoid naming conflicts.

---

• 3 years later...

Quick question on this, @silent: Is the complete list of reserved folders just core, scripts, and editor2? Or are there any others?

Also, the only reference to this behaviour I've spotted in the documentation is a warning within "Creating and Importing Assets". Perhaps it could also be added to the "File System" page, as it seems like a general file system related concept that developers need to be aware of.

Hi Simon,

The full list of reserved folders names:

• .runtimes
  • .thumbnails
  • .cache_textures
  • .editor2
  • core
  • editor
  • editor2
  • scripts

Technically it's only Editor limitations, since it works with these directories differently. You can create folders with any names during the runtime and access files inside. 

We will think how to better reflect this information in the documentation.

Thanks!

• Like 1

---

Thanks, appreciate it! I've been porting some old content that has a lot of mounted folders and got caught out by the scripts one. :)

I'm guessing these might also ignored by the Build Tool?