273 Grass broken?

photo

Hello,

Here is what my basic grass object looks like in 273: the mesh is generated far from the gizmo.

image.png.ab4200134f1a830d6b7fb6dee9973a71.png

Step by step:

1. create a default grass object
  2. move it to be a child of a landscape. Now the blades just move away from the node center
  3. uncheck Intersection: the bounding box remains incorrect. If you toggle Edit Size, you can see the blades are generated outside the Edit Size box.

Hello Stephane,

Is it stable behaviour? I think something is missing in step 2, I can't get blades shifted from the original position.

The result with edit size manipulators is fine (except the shifted grass of course). When you enable intersection the original position of an object remains intact, it seeks for a surface to intersect with.

Thank you.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

This is 100% repeatable. I reproduced it again with a new project from scratch, with the exact steps I described.

About the grass being created far from the EditSize manipulators, I guess this is due to the landscape being "curved". So it wasn't visible when I created grass near the landscape origin, but is very annoying far from the center.

It's also disturbing that the green bounding box is simply "bouncing around" when I orbit around the grass:

grass.gif.0eed23651c4767101bdb23388a85e00e.gif 

(does not bounce around when simply panning)

I uploaded a project on your ftp, also showing the terrain lerp issue (test_landscape_grass_terrain_lerp.zip)

Geodetic strikes again :)

Grass, Clutter and some other objects are curved automatically - as soon as you move them to geodetic's hierarchy their position will be recalculated. The same thing will happen to any mesh static object but only after you click "Make Curved" button.

If you want to work on some small location with curved terrain it's better to add objects manually or by clicking "Drop to ground". For global vegetation you can use landscape tool.

1 hour ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

It's also disturbing that the green bounding box is simply "bouncing around" when I orbit around the grass

Agree, this issue is caused by endless bounds of terrain global. From today's perspective, it will be solved with new terrain objects.

Thank you.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: