Voxel Global Illumination baking fatal error

photo

Hello Everyone,

I was trying to bake the Voxel Global Illumination and I was encountered with the fatal error in the attached picture. This happened everytime I was trying to bake the voxel  resulting in engine crashing. Would be awesome to get some help on it as to what might wrong in the process.  I was trying to get the sunlight coming from the window with the meshes created in modelling software but the sunlight was all over the place instead of just coming through the window. Any help regarding it would be really helpful.

Capture.JPG

Karan,

GTX1070 should be enogh to bake Voxel Probe. One thing you can also try is to disable Precompile all shaders and try to bake one more time.

We do recommend to check the samples on Voxel probe here:

• SDK Browser -> Samples -> Demos -> Samples 2.x -> voxel_* (you can copy demo as project and run it in Editor)

Also, please don't forget to check the video tutorial on Voxel probes usage (and overall lightning setup):

If after tuning settings you will continue to get crashes, please send us your project's data directory. You can use any filehosting or upload it to this thread. That will help us to understand what is going on here.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Karan,

There are few problems with the world that you send us:

1. Your room is totally our of scale. In UNIGINE 1 unit = 1 meter. As far as I can see you set the Voxel Probe size to 600x600x300 meters (units) with voxel size about 0,5m:
    image.png

2. As a result your final Voxel lightning texture will consume 47GB (that totally wouldn't fit the GTX1070 8GB).

So the solution here is actually to imprort your room with correct scale 1 unit = 1 meter and adjust Voxel probe parameters so the Memory Usage will be less than your available GPU memory. Our samples shows that as well.

Thanks!

---

Thank you for the reply silent. I was using centimeters in 3D application. So does the units have to set to be in meters in 3D modelling application too? Doesn't it translate to meters correctly in engine with cm workflow?

• 3 months later...

I am having the same problem, same GFX card. Memory usage is at 2.8 GB if I change the voxel size to 0.498, if I leave it at 0.5 it says memory usage 0B

Capture.JPG

Hello @darren.mooney,

This is the exact situation as described in the original message. Looks like there's a bug with required VRAM calculation (I've made a ticket on this one), but the issue is in enormous voxel probe size. If you want to bake this volume you'll have to upscale voxel size.

For instance, a box 512*512*512 with Voxel size = 0.5 will consume 48Gb if VRAM. This just wouldn't work.

Please, adjust import settings for your models (you can modify scale on import) so they would be smaller (1 unit = 1 meter). You can use default plane checkerboard for reference (each square is exactly 1x1m).

Thanks!

---

I changed the size on import and it now works, strange, as the scale in all other game engines is perfect. Anyway, now that it is working WOW, the results are amazing, fast, clean, no lightmap UV's!

Is there any plan to release a cheaper version or even a free version like UE4 or Unity? Im only a hobbyist and would not be making any money so I cannot justify the price, which is a shame because Im really liking it so far.

Hi Darren,

We consider to improve FBX import pipeline in the future releases (especially auto scale on import).

Regarding absolutely free version - we are working on it, but I can't give you any exact ETA on release date. There are still plenty of things that we need to improve prior this version will be released to public. Stay tuned :)

Btw, if you are still interested in making some experiments with rendering we can extend your evaluation period or give some discount to full version.

Thanks!

• Like 1

---