Importing a massive number of textured assets

photo

Hello,

I'm trying to import a massive number of textured assets. The assets are generated from 3D scans. For each 3D scan we have a DAE file with its associated JPG.

My concern is with the import process itself:

- on import, all assets share the same "material", because all the DAE refer to a material with the same name. While this can be corrected per file, it would be nice to have on the import dialog a toggle button "generate unique material".

- on import, the material is blank, the texture listed in the DAE is not associated with the albedo of the material. While it can be done manually afterward, we are importing hundreds of file so this manual approach is not practical.

What would be the best approach ? Also, some files are actually different LOD level for the same 3D location, so I will need to merge them afterward in the same node.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Stephane,

On 11/16/2018 at 4:35 PM, Amerio.Stephane said:

- on import, all assets share the same "material", because all the DAE refer to a material with the same name. While this can be corrected per file, it would be nice to have on the import dialog a toggle button "generate unique material".

We'll add this feature in the future. There's a chance that it'll be available in the december SDK update, but I can't guarantee it. Hundreds of unique materials is not the best practice, we usually try to limit their number.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:35 PM, Amerio.Stephane said:

- on import, the material is blank, the texture listed in the DAE is not associated with the albedo of the material. While it can be done manually afterward, we are importing hundreds of file so this manual approach is not practical.

This could be due to a path to the texture. Can you share one of these files?

In this particular case, I think the best way is to prepare a model, materials and textures in a 3rd-party software. Right now editor can't handle this easily. May I ask you to explain what you wish to do after all these objects are imported?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hello,

I uploaded a sample file Tile_11052_LD_001_017.zip on your ftp (consider it private). This file contains some 3D scans from Marseille, France. We are testing it these scans could be used for medium distance viewing of cities and other special terrain features (cliffs). I imagine we could cut the landscape and replace/overlay these scans. We are at an early stage here, and the file are rough out of the box, so the generation process will surely need to be improved. Please do advise.

Thank you.

Thank you, I've checked these files.

We have limited COLLADA support and right now textures are not assigned automatically. I've forwarded this to a colleague who's responsible for our import plugins, however, not sure should this work or not in your case. I tried to import your dae files into blender and 3DS Max - none of them imported textures. Maybe the reason is missing <library_images> tag in the file structure.

I understand your idea with terrain detailing, but if you want the scene to work smoothly you'll have to manually edit this geometry. Raw 3d scans will create a huge amount of junk objects and will decrease performance. In other words, it's better to merge them and optimize materials usage before importing.

I'm not aware of how exactly these dae files were created, probably, you can modify an algorithm and generate fbx files with unique materials. This will allow you to import all of them and assemble a scene without extra efforts.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: