Animated material

photo

Hello,

Is it possible to have animated textures for material (like what is currently possible with particles?) If this would require a custom shader, do you have some tutorial on how to write one ?

Thanks !

Not sure I understand this correctly. I'm talking about using a texture with an animation as an Atlas. If this is the case, how should I setup the transform for a Atlas that is 8x8 images ?

Thanks !

I'm trying to simulate a rotor wash effect on ground and water. Currently, I've set it up as a combination of multiple fx : some particles for the brown-out/white-out effect, field animation for local grass wind, and a decal for texturing the ground/water ripples. For this last fx, I'm trying to reuse some textures we have with a 8x8 atlas of an animated ground fx (attached). I think it would be easier to have an animated decal instead of having some particles with procedural rendering into the decal. 

Here is a (low quality) ref on youtube: 

rotorwash_grass.png

Hi Stephane,

with particles system you have more options to control (growth, size, spawn rate etc.), doesn't it make your fx more configurable? With this solution you can control both water decal and filed height for wave simulation. Or you only need decal? If so, you can use this 8*8 atlas, just enable animation state and set UV to 8.0f;8.0f in particles material.

I also would like to ask is this more of a suggestion (add animation for decals) or you're looking for an advice from our artists?

Thank you!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi morbid,

At the moment I only need the decal. I found the field height is not really visible in this case. I can't use the 8x8 atlas as-is to spawn particles because the texture it containt is not meant to grow or fade-in/out (it's a periodic movie).

In the end, my question is both a suggestion for a new feature (having animated textures, not just for particles) and a request for artistic advice or better, a demo ! :)