Features for next update

photo

• 2 weeks later...

• Cross-GUI interface to work with internal and external widgets (Unigine::Widgets). Unigine::Widgets::Graph class for flow-graphs.
  • Scripts which are created in the flow-graph style (Unigine::Schemer). There is no performance difference in compare with handwriting code.
  • Animation system which is based on Schemer (Unigine::Skinner). Replacement of current animation system with huge performance improvement.

This systems are written on UnigineScript and demonstrate upcoming editor functionality.

00000.jpg

00001.jpg

00002.jpg

00003.jpg

00004.jpg

00006.jpg

00007.jpg

00008.jpg

00009.jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Special objects (ObjectMeshCluster and ObjectMeshClutter) for rendering heap of instanced meshes. The performance boost in comaprison with ordinary objects is 3-4x.

00001.png

00002.png

Special objects (ObjectMeshCluster and ObjectMeshClutter) for rendering heap of instanced meshes. The performance boost in comaprison with ordinary objects is 3-4x.

Sounds awesome! Are .node objects supported within such clutter/clusters? What is the difference with regular clusters and why do we need old ones?

Then I have a question, if my scene have multiple objects(Example: I have about 20 objects, each object have 100-1000 instance), each objects has many instance, so should I use ObjectClusters to replicates each objects' instance or use one or two WorldCluster to manage all these different instance objects?

Which way will give the best performance?

It seems the ObjectCluster/Clutter is a precondition to the vegitation system.

ObjectMeshCluster is much effective than WorldCluster. The performance of ObjectMeshCluster with single instance is equivalent to performance of single ObjectMesh. But in case of ObjectMeshCluster we will have all instances for free. ObjectMeshCluster performs effective culling of inside. Multiple ObjectMeshClusters with multiple instances is a best way to render repeatedly geometry.

Attached screens are taken on Intel Core i3 (Sandy Bridge) with GeForce GTX 580. The rendered primitive is a box constructed from 24 vertices and 12 triangles.

00001.png

00002.png

00003.png

00004.png

00005.png

00006.png

The whole world with a huge number of objects can be created by using this two objects. ObjectMeshClutter is ideal for trees, stones and clutter objects. ObjectMeshCluster is ideal for multiple manually placed objects.

Looks great! However I'm little concerned about using multiple clusters for multiple meshes, but I'm sure I can live with it.

What is the possible practical application for such features?

outdoor rendering require a lot of stones, bushes and trees scattered over the surface. Right now we have to limit their visibility and poly count to have acceptable fps rate.

Because this is both memory intensive and also greatly reduces engine culling efficiency (static mesh with e.g. 1000 baked instances will be drawn even if just 1 stone is within view frustum).

• 8 months later...

Because this is both memory intensive and also greatly reduces engine culling efficiency (static mesh with e.g. 1000 baked instances will be drawn even if just 1 stone is within view frustum).

Yes. Anyway there are various approaches, how to solve this. Analyze scene and make some joining manually to benefit from both frustum culling and instancing. I consider this as last stage of scene building.

Also there is even possibility to do some automatic joining on the fly (joining meshes within view frustum), but there are some technological limits.

• 6 months later...

Fully functional Terrain streaming.

what is the key difference to current terrain streaming ? Addition of coarse level streaming (as other parts already support streaming based on my understanding) ? Some details would be great

Current terrain implementation doesn't use background data loading. There are a lot of rendering stalls because of that.

Right now I can smoothly flight with 1km/s speed across a set of 16x16 terrains with a total height map size is 65536x65536 (256x256km).

The diffuse/normal/mask texture dimension is 131072x131072. The whole terrain dataset is 55GB in 200K files.

And of course high density grass/clutter objects across the whole area are presented.