Features for next update

photo

Three useful features in additional to terrain will be available next update:

* WorldClutter: can generate infinity number of node references around player by mask image

worldclutter.jpg

* WorldOccluderTerrain: renders correct occluder by simple heightmap image

worldoccluderterrain.jpg

* PhysicalTrigger: works in same way as WorldTrigger but uses physical world and can have non-box shape

Terrain occluder looks really great!

The only unclear thing is why do we ever need it as separate object but not a part of ObjectTerrain?

Also in movie we see polygon count improvement, but almost no real render time boost. I'm pretty sure that is only movie-related issue so it would be nice to see two screenshots with this occluder on and off.

Terrain occluder looks really great!

The only unclear thing is why do we ever need it as separate object but not a part of ObjectTerrain?

Also in movie we see polygon count improvement, but almost no real render time boost. I'm pretty sure that is only movie-related issue so it would be nice to see two screenshots with this occluder on and off.

We can use WorldOccluderTerrain as occluder for mesh based environment like city with big amount of building. Moreover this object uses simplified height map.

This is no performance improvement in this sample because of Fermi video card and small amount of rendered polygons.

WorldOccluderTerrain adds 1-2ms of rendering time currently.

• 1 month later...

There is no MLAA in next update. The algorithm is too heavy for most of GPU. Instead of MLAA I have integrated antialiasing post filter into the rendering pipeline. So cheap antialiasing can be enabled by "render_antialiasing 1" console command. Quality is not excellent in comparison to MLAA especially on lines but this algorithm is very easy for GPU.

source.png

aliasing.png

Render refactoring is complete. Engine update will be available asap.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There are heap of changes for fist of 2011 year update:

* improved lightmapper with indirect illumination.

* improved rendering performance.

* pathfinding.

* and probably OpenGLES2.0 support.

I have added viewport and reflection masks for players. Now we can change scenes and objects on fly by switching players mask bits. Moreover, this allows use simplified dedicated geometry for reflections.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Frustum is still re-designing world management system, so it can take a while but anyway he is working on the feature already.

Do we have any updated time schedule for this feature (I know Frustum was busy with MacOS port) ? Will world streaming of node files also be included or will thisbe a second step ?

We have an agreement in written with a customer to provide this feature in Q2.

will this both include large coordinate precision and background node file streaming ?