Terrain bugs

photo

Hello,

My terrain exibits these very strange peaks in random parts (the peaks changes sphape when I move around)

image.png.0a82a7ae0c5d5b6f2b21a877467bed8a.png

What can cause this? (I use DT2 and one DT3 for the terrain elevation)

Hi, 

are these artefacts shows themselves only with the specific set of files? Can you re-generate elevation and check if these peaks are still present?

Is everything set to default in your landscape project? In other words, are you utilizing custom processing priority, houdini assets or manual LODs configuration?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I can consistently reproduce this bug with the attached DT2+DT3 (beware, the DT3 must have a elevation scale of 0.1): DT3.7z

Tested with a clean new project with just these DT2+DT3, all settings left to default values (curved terrain).

These peaks are the result of no-data regions in your .dt3 file. I guess you wanted to use it as a high-density patch (inset) for your terrain. It could've worked with a solid dt3 source (without huge empty area). We need some time to check what exactly is going on with this file.

However, I've managed to deal with described issue by cropping and re-exporting your file (see attached .tiff).

To fix peaks you can replace your .dt3 with this .tiff and keep all settings as you used to. It is better to clean up landscape cache before regenerating terrain.

Speaking of your use case - it would be preferable to get a source for inset with an overlapping area. Right now border blur (that makes the transition between low and high detailed areas less notable) "eats" a part of your inset. You can disable blur in Landscape tool, but this will cause visible border between two height areas.

Thanks!

cropped.zip

---

Your cropped.tif indeed fixes my issue. Did you manually crop it with GlobalMapper?

What would be the recommended width for the overlapping area (ie what is the default width of the blur)?

1 hour ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

Did you manually crop it with GlobalMapper?

Yes, actually, I tried to minimize the attachment.

1 hour ago, Amerio.Stephane said:

what is the default width of the blur

1 last pixel is being blurred. So it depends on the resolution of a low detailed LOD that follows the first one. But for more precise answer I need to check with our dev team.

Thank you! 

---