photo

Hi,

I'm running into some issues regarding performance difference between Editor and app run via the SDK browser.

Running the VR emulator in the editor tells me i should be getting ~8ms per frame when emulating the Oculus Rift.   (~4ms-5ms when not emulating)

However when I run the profiler in the app after launching from the SDK browser, I'm getting 21ms per frame while wearing an Oculus Rift.  (~4ms-5ms as before when the headset is not being worn.)

What is causing this massive difference in performance? Is the emulator simply inaccurate?

Hi James,

21ms is just Oculus software is trying to limit the framerate to 45 if it's under 90 (let's say 85 or 89).

VR Emulation is not 100% guarantee that you will have the same performance in real HMD, because it only changes the resolution and enabling stereo mode. Real world performance can be lower due to other reasons (like Oculus SDK overhead). 

Have you tried to disable ASW?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Disabling ASW only seems to work sometimes. Is there an in-engine option for this or is the OculusDebugTool the only way to do it? 

I just ran another test: started the app, capped at 45, opened the tool and set ASW to disabled, got around 80fps. After restarting the app, it was again capped at 45 with the ASW option in the Debug Tool having no effect.

I believe that Oculus don't provide any API for ASW control (need to check one more tim though). That means we don't have any way to control it via code.

AppOculus sources avaible at <SDK>/source/plugins/App/AppOculus (in case if you want to modify it somehow).

Pressing CTRL + NumPad 1 usually will disable ASW for the running application.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: