Landscape not applying Albedo

photo

I've just tried tiling the data and applying as decals but I'v run into an issue: the decals dont align with the landscape data 100%. I suspect that this is due to the decal not being transformed based on the CRS of the data. I can align a small section with the landscape data but then the further away from that point the data is, the more it drifts in alignment.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I've tried exporting as a different CRS but then the decals themselves didn't join up and I've tried making the decals a child of the geodetic pivot.

Edited by james.kelly

Hello James,

this could've worked out in Flat mode. If you want to achieve this with georeferenced terrain, please try the following:

• extract .prj file from your source files (Landscape supports WKT v1 format for .prj)
  • extract a square tile from your heatmap (or another image that you wish to use as a separate overlay)
  • generate terrain with a custom projection (with .prj file): https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/create_terrain#mode_projection
  • then you need to create mesh that fits the size of your overlay tile, just use Plane primitive and "Create mesh" option in Unigine Editor
  • create DecalMesh wih a new .mesh file
  • assign required texture

The idea is to override built-in projection and use the same as in geotiff files. I did some tests with 500m and 1000m decals and it worked, however, I'm not sure about the pixel-to-pixel match. Please, check attached screenshot. The boundbox shows DecalMesh size. It's far from the perfect match but the offset is only visible at close range. I guess it could be enough for some colored map visualization. Using precise values for mesh size (i'd rounded numbers off) should give the better result.

Thanks!

decal.PNG

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• 3 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 10:54 AM, morbid said:

Hello James,

this could've worked out in Flat mode. If you want to achieve this with georeferenced terrain, please try the following:

• extract .prj file from your source files (Landscape supports WKT v1 format for .prj)
  • extract a square tile from your heatmap (or another image that you wish to use as a separate overlay)
  • generate terrain with a custom projection (with .prj file): https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/create_terrain#mode_projection
  • then you need to create mesh that fits the size of your overlay tile, just use Plane primitive and "Create mesh" option in Unigine Editor
  • create DecalMesh wih a new .mesh file
  • assign required texture

The idea is to override built-in projection and use the same as in geotiff files. I did some tests with 500m and 1000m decals and it worked, however, I'm not sure about the pixel-to-pixel match. Please, check attached screenshot. The boundbox shows DecalMesh size. It's far from the perfect match but the offset is only visible at close range. I guess it could be enough for some colored map visualization. Using precise values for mesh size (i'd rounded numbers off) should give the better result.

Thanks!

decal.PNG

Hi, 

this solution did work out in the end! Apologies I didn't report back, that project got really intense and responding to this post slipped to the back of my mind. Many thanks for your solution.

The project I was working on is back for another round of improvements and I'm wondering if any solutions for importing georeferenced decals or generic shapefiles has been released or is being worked on? I'll be needing to layer up more heatmap information and with such a large volume of data, the previous workflow would be very slow, tedious and susceptible to human error. (manual placement of decals over a large area)

Hello James,

I'm really glad that you achieved the desired result.

10 hours ago, james.kelly said:

I'm wondering if any solutions for importing georeferenced decals or generic shapefiles has been released or is being worked on?

In the latest releases, there were no features added to make heatmap creation native for Terrain Global. However, we're working on a new terrain and your request was passed to the dev team. The problem is that adding an overlay to the terrain is not easy or fast to accomplish task, it requires major rework of the whole terrain concept.

I think you can make it a little faster by using DecalOrtho instead of mesh one. I missed this in the first place. Without creating custom tools on your side it seems to be the best option.

Thank you.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: