Landscape not applying Albedo

photo

Hi,

I'm evaluating Unigine Engineering for generating large scale environments from GIS data. 

The landscape tool seems really powerful however I'm having trouble getting my satellite imagery to work. 

I've imported all the tiles of satellite imagery I have and they line up with the heightmap in the preview window - everything is GeoTiff. 

However when I generate my terrain, It seems like only the heightmap is being used. My terrain is all there but it's the default grey colour with none of my satellite imagery applied.

Am I missing a step? Do I need to merge my satellite data into one single GeoTiff?

Thanks,
James

5 minutes ago, silent said:

Hi James,

Can you show us at least a screenshots of generated terrain and landscape tool preview window? Is there any error messages in console (Windows -> Console)?

If possible, can you attach couple of the imagery sources to this thread?

Thanks!

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I can't share any screenshots as all the data is under NDA. 

I'm not seeing any errors in the console but I will regenerate the terrain and keep an eye on the console. 

Hi James,

this sounds strange, let's check these things:

1. Make sure that your satellite images are imported as Albedo\Imagery (is there any chance you've put them as Landcover?)
  2. Can you generate imagery preview for your images? (Just select source file in the list and open context menu, then click "Generate preview")
  3. Are you using no data option?
  4. Have you changed processing priority for your sources?
  5. Is gis soft (Global Mapper or Qgis) handles these files as expected?
  6. Try to switch Albedo LODs In the GlobalTerrain object. Does this affect somehow on terrain appearance?
  7. Which visibility distance is set for your albedo LODs?

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

1 hour ago, morbid said:

Hi James,

this sounds strange, let's check these things:

1. Make sure that your satellite images are imported as Albedo\Imagery (is there any chance you've put them as Landcover?) Yes, images are marked as Albedo
  2. Can you generate imagery preview for your images? (Just select source file in the list and open context menu, then click "Generate preview") This doesn't appear to do anything.
  3. Are you using no data option? "No data" box is unchecked.
  4. Have you changed processing priority for your sources? No, everything was left at it's default setting, 0.
  5. Is gis soft (Global Mapper or Qgis) handles these files as expected? QGIS displays the data as expected.
  6. Try to switch Albedo LODs In the GlobalTerrain object. Does this affect somehow on terrain appearance? Turning LODs on or off does not change appearance
  7. Which visibility distance is set for your albedo LODs? Default visibility distances are used. Density 1.5 = 4892. Density 3 = 7546 >>> Density 431 = 168536

Edited by james.kelly
On 26/05/2018 at 9:34 AM, morbid said:

Okay, can you give us full info on the source you're using? You can find it in QGis, just select source and in context menu go to the Properties -> Information.

I assume there's no way you can send us a sample file? That would make it much faster.

Thanks!

Here is the layer information from one of the Satellite tiles. Some data has been redacted.

Qgis Layer Information.docx

Edited by james.kelly

Could you please try export one of your sources to 8 bit RGB image? Landscape tool works with 16 bits in georeferenced mode, but it worth checking.

I also noticed no-data value assigned per band. Haven't you changed your file in Raster calculator? Or maybe you've edited it in some other way?

And, just to make sure, please check the attached imagery file.

Thanks!

10m_JPEG_GC_IMG_UTM_WGS84.zip

---

14 minutes ago, morbid said:

Could you please try export one of your sources to 8 bit RGB image? Landscape tool works with 16 bits in georeferenced mode, but it worth checking.

I also noticed no-data value assigned per band. Haven't you changed your file in Raster calculator? Or maybe you've edited it in some other way?

And, just to make sure, please check the attached imagery file.

Thanks!

10m_JPEG_GC_IMG_UTM_WGS84.zip

I've not edited the file at all. How should the no-data value be handled? 

I'll get back to you once I've tried and 8-bit export. 

How should I test the image you supplied? As it won't align with heightmap, what would it be applied to?

Many thanks for the support.

6 minutes ago, james.kelly said:

How should I test the image you supplied? As it won't align with heightmap, what would it be applied to?

You can create new landscape asset and import only imagery. I want to make sure that terrain albedo works in a simple case. You'll get flat picture as a result.

By the way, are your files stored in data folder? If so, please check "Unchanged" tick in asset parameters.

How should the no-data value be handled?

Not sure about QGis, but in Landscape tool, you can set the no-data value to cut out some color from albedo.

---

The example file you sent worked. I was able to see a preview of it in the landscape tool too. Clearly something off about the format of my data.

Scaling one of the tiles to 8bit worked. It now imports correctly via the landscape tool.

Edited by james.kelly

All my .tif files are stored outwith the Unigine project. They're on a network drive - my Unigine project is on my local machine. 

59 minutes ago, james.kelly said:

Scaling one of the tiles to 8bit worked. It now imports correctly via the landscape tool.

May I ask you to send log.html after unsuccessful terrain generation with your original source files?

This file is stored in /bin folder of your project.

Thanks!

---

On 29/05/2018 at 1:58 PM, morbid said:

May I ask you to send log.html after unsuccessful terrain generation with your original source files?

This file is stored in /bin folder of your project.

Thanks!

Hi,

Here's the log file. Most filenames and paths have been redacted. 

From a glance I can only see 4 lines that indicate an error. Lines 18473 - 18477.

Sorry for the delay, busy week!

Unigine_Log.txt

• Like 1
On 02/06/2018 at 7:16 AM, morbid said:

Thank you, 

unfortunately, there's no useful information considering issue you've reported in the first place.

Is resaving to 8 bits works fine for you?

It worked for the majority of tiles, however there are some that did not convert correctly. Here's a screenshot from Qgis showing one of the problem tiles after conversion.

image.png.1f900bab28f9de21b0ca21b3d88c6f62.pngAny idea what would cause this?

On 04/06/2018 at 10:39 AM, morbid said:

Not sure what exactly happening with these files. Try different save modes, QGis has two options: data and rendered image. Try rendered.

I've been using GDAL Translate to do the conversion. I'll try the save options.

Edited by james.kelly

I re-extracted the problem tiles to start the process over. It seems the meta-data was a little off, bringing in the tiles with the wrong CRS. Translating (and scaling) via GDAL and resetting the CRS got them working. 

My following questions would be:  Is it also possible to apply another set of imagery tiles and be able to control their visibility? Like swapping between the two sets or overlaying them? Is it possible to lower/remove height values at 0 or below? As my heightmap includes a coastal area, I'd like to use the water object but it doesn't really work as there is flat landscape out to the extents of my heightmap, causing clipping with the water object. I see in the documentation ,mention of a holes map, but I can't find that option in the editor. 

Hi James,

glad to hear that it worked for you.

18 hours ago, james.kelly said:

Is it also possible to apply another set of imagery tiles and be able to control their visibility?

Yes, it is possible. You can control visibility distance by manual LODs configuration. Overlapping sources will be used for corresponding LODs. Please, keep in mind that set of sources is not the same as 1 LOD. Landscape Tool automatically manages data and LODs settings. More on LODs generation could be found here: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/create_terrain#lod_settings

Is it possible to lower/remove height values at 0 or below?

In editor you can use terrain brushes to lower the sea bottom. You also can modify your elevation sources, I haven't tried, but this tutorial explains how to change 0 value to no data: http://planet.qgis.org/planet/tag/elevation/.

An alternative solution could be the procedural refinement of "zero" area. But this requires Houdini FX: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/procedural_refinement

I see in the documentation ,mention of a holes map, but I can't find that option in the editor. 

Yes, TerrainGlobal can support holes, but it can be created only via API or on the stage of terrain generation (if your elevation has no data regions).

Thanks!

---

On 09/06/2018 at 6:53 AM, morbid said:

Hi James,

glad to hear that it worked for you.

Yes, it is possible. You can control visibility distance by manual LODs configuration. Overlapping sources will be used for corresponding LODs. Please, keep in mind that set of sources is not the same as 1 LOD. Landscape Tool automatically manages data and LODs settings. More on LODs generation could be found here: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/create_terrain#lod_settings

In editor you can use terrain brushes to lower the sea bottom. You also can modify your elevation sources, I haven't tried, but this tutorial explains how to change 0 value to no data: http://planet.qgis.org/planet/tag/elevation/.

An alternative solution could be the procedural refinement of "zero" area. But this requires Houdini FX: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/procedural_refinement

Yes, TerrainGlobal can support holes, but it can be created only via API or on the stage of terrain generation (if your elevation has no data regions).

Thanks!

Thanks for the response!

To Elaborate on my first question. I have some extra GIS data that I would like to apply to the landscape as an overlay - with it's opacity controlled by a parameter. 

This was fairly easy to achieve in UE4 due to it's master > instance material setups and lack of a landscape imagery LOD system. 

I know it would be possible to create a custom shader or modify an existing one to take extra inputs, but would there be any way to have this work with the landscape tool? 

If not, consider Albedo layers as a feature request! 

On 11.06.2018 at 3:38 PM, james.kelly said:

To Elaborate on my first question. I have some extra GIS data that I would like to apply to the landscape as an overlay - with it's opacity controlled by a parameter. 

Okay, now I see. Unfortunately, you can't achieve this with Landscape tool, it merges all the data.

On 11.06.2018 at 3:38 PM, james.kelly said:

If not, consider Albedo layers as a feature request! 

So, you would like to create independent albedo layers for terrain from manually specified sources. Am I right?

Wouldn't detail layers work for you in this case? You can create a custom mask and set a texture: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/generate_details

Sometimes decal also could be an option. Can you show us what result you want to achieve?

Thanks!

---

4 hours ago, morbid said:

Okay, now I see. Unfortunately, you can't achieve this with Landscape tool, it merges all the data.

So, you would like to create independent albedo layers for terrain from manually specified sources. Am I right?

Wouldn't detail layers work for you in this case? You can create a custom mask and set a texture: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.1/editor2/landscape_tool/generate_details

Sometimes decal also could be an option. Can you show us what result you want to achieve?

Thanks!

I'm not sure detail layers would work as I'm not looking to apply a tiling texture. My dataset covers the entire landscape and is one single GeoTiff - I'm not sure a decal would work with such a high resolution file?

Here's an example I pulled from Google. Say I had a heatmap showing the density of some recorded value, I'd like to be able to show this on the landscape.
Image result for GIS heatmap