Tangent/normal issue

photo

My object is rendered properly in 3ds max, when I import into Unigine, it seems, like there is some tangent/normal issue, object has visible faces. I tried to import both with import tangent space off/on, I tried smoothing normals/flipping tangents via resource editor, I tried not to invert G channel for normal map, I ve tried to import via 3ds max export plugin, but nothing helps. I ve also tried to import in different engine and it is OK there. It looks almost like some issue in shader. I ve noticed this behaviour long time ago for some surfaces, but it was not as strong as in this case, so I ve ignored that.

Source files are attached. It is original source, so for normal map you have to invert G channel, to have proper Y axis for Unigine. 

tang.jpg

Edited by demostenes

Hello demostenes,

yes, there's an issue with low-poly models due to the SSAO algorithm we use. You can turn off SSAO to check this.

You can avoid artifacts by:

1. Enabling Ray Tracing in Settings -> Render -> Global Illumination. This will require additional render settings tuning, you may want to check this article
  2. Adding more polygons to your model

We have plans for SSAO improvements but can't say when will it be done.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thanks for clarification. I have Tay Tracing enabled and tuning parametres did not help. Only turning cavity off worked. As workaround I turned of SSAO for this material and manually baked ambient oclussion. Maybe SSAO cavity could be material parametr, not only global.

Edited by demostenes
  • 3 weeks later...