[SOLVED] fbx import tangents issue

photo

When I import via FBX import, surface Stones when mapped with texture and normal map has wrong shadowing. When I import via 3ds max 2015 and Unigine export plugin, everything is OK. Fbx + texture in attachment. It seems like some issue with tangents.

tang.png

Desktop.7z

Edited by demostenes

Hello demostenes,

It seems like you didn't imported tangent space when importing FBX
In order to correctly import tangents via fbx import you need to set active "Import tangent space" option in .fbx parameters and then press reimport. 
Your FBX imported with tangent space seems to be shaded correctly, if that won't fix your issue, please notify us

Thank you!

tangents.PNG

Okay, we've run a bunch of test with your model.

1. Looks like something wrong went when you exported FBX.We had to reset smoothing groups.
  2. We don't see significat difference in shading when exporting to fbx or to mesh file.
  3. We achieved the same result with shading (as you provided on a right part of  screenshot) only after disabling smoothing groups in 3ds max
  4. I'd like to note that unigine editor handles tangent space in a different manner that 3ds max. When you use only one smoothing group for mesh result in 3ds and unigine will be different. So, you probably need to change smoothing groups in original model.

Maybe I misunderstood you? Please tell us if you need further assist on this issue.

shading.png

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

• silent changed the title to [SOLVED] fbx import tangents issue