From Max & Maya To Unigine

photo

I have a mesh. It was rigged and skinned in Maya. My rig consists of 143 bones and unfortunately I cannot reduse its number. To export my mesh with rig and skin from Maya I use Unigine plug-in. Then in Unigine I create Mesh Skinned and load my *.mesh file. But some of mesh vertices fly away in mesh pivot. I know that there is a limitation for bone number (it should be no more than 96), so I need to divide into surfaces my mesh. I cannot somehow cut it: in this way I'll get holes in mesh borders. In Max I can use different material IDs, it works good in Unigine and does what I need. But there is no rig and skin in Max for my mesh and it's impossible to send all rig and skin from Maya to Max correctly (some warning appears, some constraints are broken). Also there is no material IDs in Maya (even in window of export settings there is no button "Split By Materials" like in Max).

Summary. I have a mesh. It has good surface division in Max and rig and skin in Maya. It's impossinble to send this scene from Max to Maya or from maya to Max without losing data: in first case I lose surface division, is second case I'll get broken rig. How to export it all (divided mesh, rig and skin) to Unigine?

То же самое на русском (=

У меня есть меш, для которого сделаны риг и скин в Майе. Риг состоит из 143 костей, и, к сожалению, их количество я уменьшить не могу. Чтобы сделать экспорт моего рига и скина, я использую плагин Unigine. Затем в самом Unigine я создаю Mesh Skinned и подгружаю мой *.mesh файл. Но часть вершин моего меша улетают в пивот. Я знаю, что есть ограничение на количество костей (их не должно быть больше 96), поэтому мне надо разделить мой меш на сурфейсы. Я не могу каким-либо образом разрезать мой меш на части: в этом случае при анимации на границах возникают дыры. Зато в Максе я могу использовать разные material ID, они работают в движке и дают нужный результат. Но в Максе у меня нет ни рига, ни скина, и невозможно перенести всё корректно из Майи в Макс (появляются несколько предупреждений, ломаются некоторые ограничения). Также в Майе нет material ID (даже в окошке настроек экспорта нет галочки "Split By Materials", как в Максе). 

Подытожу. У меня есть меш. Этот меш имеет хорошее деление на сурфейсы в Максе, а риг и скин - в Майе. Перекинуть сцену Макса в Майю или из Майи в Макс невозможно без потери информации: в первом случае теряется деление на сурфейсы, а во втором - ломается риг. Каким способом можно сделать экспорт в движок, чтобы всё (деление, риг и скин) работало?

Autodesk Maya 2015 

Autodesk 3ds Max 2016

Unigine 1.3.2 (built 3500)

In Maya you can combine meshes, which have different materials to get different surfaces ( Mesh > combine) , similar to submaterials in 3dsMax.

Skinning can be transferred e,g, with weightmaps from model to model in Maya if needed (if you want to split models).

Export with FBX should work well.

Best. Werner

mats.JPG

Thank you all very much for your quick reply!

I tested fbx export from Maya to Editor. Vertices are still flying away. Think it's because the number of bones for one surface is still more than 96.

The trick with material IDs in Max is in having one mesh and several surfaces at one time.

To understand better I describe the situation more. I have a human mesh. It has rig and skin in Maya. Hands and legs should be surfaces. So, I cannot cut it off body and then combine, because in this case I will have holes while animation. That's why I wanna use material ID in Max. 

Made checking to be sure about "combine". It doesn't work. After combining even more vertices fly away. 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_WVs2xPpO6uVFNYNXptTWFYcEk

Hmm.

Seems to be a detailled issue here.

First of all imo I 143 bones for a human character is pretty overkill. 

I cant really understand, why you would need that many. Do u use it to 'simulate' muscles?

It should definitely be possible to split the mesh and then use the skinweights exactly as on the whole body, just for the separate meshes in Maya.

You also should be able to export the Skinned mesh to 3dsmax either using FBX or the Sendto MAX functionality.

As well you should check the influences of the bones to the vertices. 3 bones per vertices should be enough.

If you want you can send me the file, so I can look at it a bit. (maybe I can help?)

cheers

Werner

Hey.

I looked at your file.

First I deleted all the uneccessary objects.

I exported the file to FBX (using Maya 2017).

Then imported it into 3dsMAX 2017. There I just assigned a multisub material in the EditPoly modifier (material IDs) of the main Body.

I didnt use the openSibdiv, which is a pretty overkill on Polycount anyway. (deleted it)

Then Exported it as FBX again, and imported it into Unigine.

I get the mesh with 2 Surfaces, as desired. And the animation works!

Cheers, Werner

Capture.JPG

Hey. Cant remember exactly, but I just deleted everything which wasnt necessary for the character...

Thats the scene graph...

aa.JPG