2 problems on VR

photo

1. Images blink or flash violently when play some of the demos, like "Port Angeles". It only blinks  in VR glasses, not on a PC screen.

2. In some demos, images distort seriously when turning my head, like  "PBR Interior", a VR vehicle demo that the customer service sent to my phone.

VR equipment: HTC Vice.

GPU: Geforce GTX 970

CPU: I7-4790

Hi Zhang,

GTX970 is minimal spec for VR (but almost every VR demo have much simplier content than Portangeles). Portangeles is not optimized for VR rendering. You will have to lower settings, disable some rendering buffers to gain more performance.

2. In some demos, images distort seriously when turning my head, like  "PBR Interior", a VR vehicle demo that the customer service sent to my phone.

What is VR vehicle demo? We don't have any special VR optimized demos in SDK, sorry. We will try to find some Distortions in PBR Interior demo. How do they look?

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

About distortion in demo "PBR Interior": I found it weeks ago, but I can't see any distortion in that demo today. May be it is OK now.

About blink,  I noticed two kinds of them:

1. Once the fps drops below 45, look through VR glasses will blink if you nob your head. And this can be simply solved by upgrading our computers.

2. In some demos like "Port Angeles" or "PBR Interior", the blink is like certain kind of flash light with high frequency.  This happened occasionally, like switch camera to airplane mode in "Port Angeles".  

This kind of blink may have no relationship with fps, and its blink behaviors are none like the previous kind, what reason may cause it? 

Another question, you mentioned "optimized for VR rendering", how can we do that? Or can we do that for special project?

I attached a video to demonstrate the 2nd kind of blink in VR, it was taken by phone camera and it blinks much faster in real.

blinkInVr.mp4

Hi Zhang,

1. Once the fps drops below 45, look through VR glasses will blink if you nob your head. And this can be simply solved by upgrading our computers.

To get rid of any blinks and artifacts with movement you should have at least stable 90 fps in HTC Vive resolution.

Each eye in HTC Vive have 1512x1860 resolution, so you can test what fps you will have with your application by setting resolution of the main window equals to 1512x1860 and enable stereo (render_stereo 1, for example). If you will have spikes and fps will drop below 45, you will have any kind of movement artifacts in VR.

You can check out HTC Vive sample (very simple) that will give you always 90 fps: SDK Browser -> Samples -> Unigine Script -> App -> app_vive_00.

2. In some demos like "Port Angeles" or "PBR Interior", the blink is like certain kind of flash light with high frequency. This happened occasionally, like switch camera to airplane mode in "Port Angeles".
This kind of blink may have no relationship with fps, and its blink behaviors are none like the previous kind, what reason may cause it?

It can be also related to FPS. We will try to find out what happens here. On your video from mobile phone - is that HTC Vive device?

Another question, you mentioned "optimized for VR rendering", how can we do that? Or can we do that for special project?

The main goal is to achieve 90 FPS stable with HTC Vive eye resolution (in stereo mode). You can disable buffers that you don't use, lower post effects settings, lower triangles count, bake geometry, create LODs, reduce shadow resolution and distance.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads: