Terrain improvements

photo

We are working in improving terrain, primarily in terms of easier content workflow and rendering performance.

Currently the plan is to get rid of over-complicated index texture system together with "parent-child" property inside of terrain layers. The concept proved itself to be counter-intuitive and very hard to configure, so we are working on something easier.

In any case there will be migration tools for existing projects.

Good news, could you please provide more details? I want to "freeze" procedural generation of terrain and start manual tuning and once I do it, there is no way back. Well, maybe it would be partially possible in case we are able to export detail texture masks, which is currently not possible. Anyway it would be good to know if I should postpone our freeze and wait for new features.

Hi Jirka,

The good news here - all the terrain contents will be migrated successfully (at least we don't see any issues here). But the bad news are that manual editing of the migrated contents might now work. We will try to implement as more features as possible, but there is no 100% guarantee that edit feature will be included. If there will be no edit feature, we will add it ASAP with the 2.3.x patches after release.

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Jirka,

The good news here - all the terrain contents will be migrated successfully (at least we don't see any issues here). But the bad news are that manual editing of the migrated contents might now work. We will try to implement as more features as possible, but there is no 100% guarantee that edit feature will be included. If there will be no edit feature, we will add it ASAP with the 2.3.x patches after release.

Thanks!

Well, I have terrain now 100% procedural, so in case there is problem with migration, there is no problem to reimport all masks and recreate it very fast. In such case manual edit would be possible? Situation will be more complicated in case level designers will start to do manual tuning and changes, because I cant export detail texture masks.

Hi Jirka,

I'm afraid. even in this case manual editing might not be available :(

Hmm, manual editing is critical for us. We can live short time without ability to paint textures, but modification of height map is something, we are doing on daily basis.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • silent unpinned this topic