Can we add animation form FBX now?

photo

I have some strange behaviors with that (as I am using fbx right now for animation as well).

I export the same mesh and skeleton 3 times - every time with a different animation in 3dsStudio Max 2015 and import it to the editor.

The animation files, created by the importer, are always named like the meshes, which are in the file e.g. Hand (is a geometry) - GEO_Hand.anim and for every mesh an animation file is created.

So, if I rename the animation files, so that I can play all 3 animations separately (in the editor on the same skeleton/mesh), it doesnt matter, which animation file I would take, it only plays one of them.

The same happens, if I load the files in the resource editor and then save only the animation files.

Is there any ID or so in the anim file format which assigns the animation to a specific mesh/file ? If yes, how can I change these.

Generally, is this behavior confirmed or could that be an mistake on export?

Best. werner

Hi Yan,

You can load bones animation from FBX. After FBX format import editor will generate *.mesh and *.anim files that you can reuse later.

Thanks!

Can I get *.track files form FBX?Which means object animation.

I have some strange behaviors with that (as I am using fbx right now for animation as well).

I export the same mesh and skeleton 3 times - every time with a different animation in 3dsStudio Max 2015 and import it to the editor.

The animation files, created by the importer, are always named like the meshes, which are in the file e.g. Hand (is a geometry) - GEO_Hand.anim and for every mesh an animation file is created.

So, if I rename the animation files, so that I can play all 3 animations separately (in the editor on the same skeleton/mesh), it doesnt matter, which animation file I would take, it only plays one of them.

The same happens, if I load the files in the resource editor and then save only the animation files.

Is there any ID or so in the anim file format which assigns the animation to a specific mesh/file ? If yes, how can I change these.

Generally, is this behavior confirmed or could that be an mistake on export?

Best. werner

Hi,werner

You use bones animation from FBX?

Can I get *.track files form FBX?Which means object animation.

I'm afraid, no. Such functionality is not available.

It looks like a bug actually. I believe our QA guys can check this behavior.

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

I will do some further tests to confirm.

Thx.

One thing, when importing a FBX file, the generated .anim file always gets the name of the Geometry in the Scene instead of the file's name.

e.g. Import :

Filename  File0.fbx with object A ----> .anim file = GEO_A.anim

Filename  File1.fbx with object A ----> .anim file = GEO_A.anim

etc.

So you always get a single animation.

That seems to be solveable via the Resource Editor, where you can writeout a seperate .anim file.

Another big difference is, that the FBX importer writes a node per Object, AND a .anim file per Object, which is additional data.

e.g you have a Skelet Animation Of a character with several skinned meshes the importer writes Object A - Animation A, Object B - Animation B ....

But the animation is a single one, which all the Objects share:

Using the resource Editor, you can export a .mesh file, which writes a single node  but separate surfaces. That is fine, as you have a single SkinnedMesh and a single animation.

So FBX directly doesnt work for skinned meshes in a good way.

thx.

werner