Massive texture import

photo

Hi,

We have meet a problem in our project, we want load massive meshes into a project. But the quantity of the textures is too big, up to 48GB(dds format). 

When I load those textures , there comes a error, texture::load is out of memory. Does unigine loads all the textures into memory at the same time? How could I do if I want to load all our meshes with textures into unigine?

Thanks for reply. I know it's impossible to load all texture at the same time. But I have saw that the textures of terrain in some demos are also more big than the memory, and the terrain works well. According to that, I think there are some useful method of texture loading I haven't don't know, and that method will load the texture in different time. 

Maybe I haven't described my problem detailed. We have a lot of 3D objects(dae format,873), each of objects consist of 8 layers of lod meshes( different accuracy of meshes). Now, I have succeed to load all of meshes as staticobject into unigine. However, the textures of all meshes are mach more massive. 

If I can't load so many texture,  is there some other method to complete our project. We have another type of meshes which is format of .obj. However all of those obj have no lod layers, so when we load 873 obj and textures into unigine the FPS is too lower. 

By the way, please forgive my poor English. :D

No need for excuses, your English is excellent. Regarding your rendering problem: this is a 'classical' massive model rendering problem definitely requiring out-of-core mesh and texture streaming. This is something Object Terrain uses internally, but for general mesh rendering this will require a very fine-tuned mesh and material level-of-detail scenery modelling and loading. Your current brute force 'load all models at once' will always fail due to memory and performance overload.

Unigine has support for large scene model and texture streaming, but provision of some tips how to use it will require a better understanding of your specific rendering scene layout.

Could you describe your model scenery in more detail (e.g. large scale city environment, highly detailed model of some complex machine, .... ). Some screenshots of the scenery you want to visualize would be even more helpful.

No need for excuses, your English is excellent. Regarding your rendering problem: this is a 'classical' massive model rendering problem definitely requiring out-of-core mesh and texture streaming. This is something Object Terrain uses internally, but for general mesh rendering this will require a very fine-tuned mesh and material level-of-detail scenery modelling and loading. Your current brute force 'load all models at once' will always fail due to memory and performance overload.

Unigine has support for large scene model and texture streaming, but provision of some tips how to use it will require a better understanding of your specific rendering scene layout.

Could you describe your model scenery in more detail (e.g. large scale city environment, highly detailed model of some complex machine, .... ). Some screenshots of the scenery you want to visualize would be even more helpful.

Thanks for replay, we have got a set of objects which modeling according to aerial photograph, and each object is highly detailed. All objects will make up a big city which has much detail and looks more real. So we don't want to use the Object Terrain to generate a terrain, that will make scene looks not real.

Please make sure that you have render_manager_create_textures set to 0 to prevent forcing engine to load everything on start-up.

Thanks very much.

So we don't want to use the Object Terrain to generate a terrain, that will make scene looks not real.

Why? With object terrain you can make realistic terrain (you can use aerial photogprahs on it). And it has lots of advantages in compare to some mesh.

With highly detailed city environment usage of WorldLayer will be the key element for background data streaming (load/unload). In all cases this will require a very fine-tuned scene partitioning, model/material LOD approach, render occlusion optimizations (e.g. WorldOccluderTerrain) etc..

Search the forum for additional tips on required modelling/rendering approaches, see e.g. this post