Tree Clutter Painting Slow

photo

I've created a clutter object for each of my terrain tiles and I'm experiencing the same issue a lot of other users have been getting which is that painting the clutter mask is tremendously taxing. I go from 90fps to 4fps. This is a problem in itself but the even bigger problem is that the clutter objects don't actually appear on the terrain until several seconds later. I think my values are correct but I'm not entirely sure what could be going wrong. Are these values sane?

Terrain: 2049 x 2049

Step: 3.172

ObjectClutter: 1024  x 1024

Spawn: 1

Visible: 100

Fade: 50

Size: 6499.43 x 6499.43

Step: 1

Density: 1

Threshold: 0.5

Intersection: true

Philip

Hi Philip,

Could you please provide us a simple test scene with yor terrain, trees and clutter mask? Maybe lags caused by the rendering stalls (because of too many trees rendering at once) or big brush radius. The test scene will help us to identify the root cause of this issue much faster.

Thank you!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Hi Philip,

Thank you for the test scene. Will check it ASAP.

We usually have sensitive data I cant post externally.

For such cases you can upload files directly to our web server using this page: https://developer.unigine.com/en/personal/files or create a support request via this form: https://developer.unigine.com/en/personal/support

You also can send me a PM via this link.

Thanks!

---

Hi Philip,

I've just noticed that your scene contains the old terrain format. Are you still using the Unigine 1.0 SDK from 2014-07-07? There is no more patches planned for the old engine version. If we'll find the cause of this lag it will be fixed only in the Unigine 2.0 version, sorry.

---

Anyway, I've added this issue to our internal bug tracker.

Mask painting is always slow process (espcially with terrain intersections and large brush radius). I'm afraid the only way to get rid of this lags is to use smaller brush radius or use 3rd party image editors to generate masks procedurally (and use small brush inside Editor for a refinment process).

Thanks!

---

Thanks Andrey. Yes I've mentioned to our devs that we need to start using the 2.0 beta, but obviously there's a lot of reluctance. After following the techniques used in the Valley demo, I'm finding that rather than using WorldClutter as the documentation suggests, your team primarily used ObjectMeshClutter for trees, rocks, etc... Now I can see my tree's and I do not get the FPS drop that I was experiencing before. It's hovering around an acceptable 30-50FPS.

The documentation really should be revised to reflect this but it begs the question, what is the point of having two classes that basically perform the same operation?

Hi Philip,

Sorry for soooo late reply!

Well actually, you're right: for forest we use ObjectMeshClutter, not WorldClutter. And there is a confusion in our documentation, we'll fix it asap, thanks!

And about the these two classes: 

* ObjectMeshClutter (as all other Mesh objects) are used to represent the real geometry in the scene. MeshClutter has speedup of rendering of geometry because of instancing. But if you want to put in the world particle systems, decals and so on, you should use WorldClutter.

* WorldClutter works only with nodes, and each node could be drawn in the bunch of draw calls. WorldClutter is used to organize your nodes in separate spatial tree and to scatter them in the scene. For example, in our Port Angeles demo, we scattered decals of wood chips on the coast and used WorldClutter for it.

Hope, it makes the things more clear.