Can't paint with mask editor

photo

I've run into a couple problems since migrating to Unigine 2. The first is that I can't paint on the terrain mask. The diffuse, holes, and heights brushes all work fine, but the mask brush has problems. I set the brush to "replace", selected a material, maxed out the brush's radius, sharpness, and opacity settings, and set the limits to 0, 90, -100, and 200000. When I press ALT+LMB to draw, there's a lag spike that lasts about 3 seconds. When the lag ends I can scribble on the terrain, but nothing happens. Occasionally I'll see a very slight change in the textures, but it's almost nothing. All the terrain files are unlocked, and the console reports they're being updated and reloaded properly. 

Also I should note here that occasionally when I cancel the terrain edit dialog, and hit "yes" on the popup window, the edit dialog disappears, but the brush remains active, and menus are disabled. Then I have to restart to fix it. This is rare, but it does happen.

The other problem is I can't edit clutter masks. I'm using the same masks I was using in Unigine 1, and they work with the clutter objects. When I try to paint with the mask editor however, the console spams this error:

Image::variable_to_pixel(): unknown image format "R8" for "dvec4" variable

Editor::update():editor update function return 0

Has the image format for the clutter masks changed? I haven't seen anything about this in the documentation.

terrain masks.rar

island-trees-mask.rar

Hi Ted,

When I try to paint with the mask editor however, the console spams this error:

Image::variable_to_pixel(): unknown image format "R8" for "dvec4" variable

Thank you! I've successfully reproduced this behavior with latest double precision build. Single preciont (or float) build are not affected. We will fix this issue in the next SDK update.

Also I should note here that occasionally when I cancel the terrain edit dialog, and hit "yes" on the popup window, the edit dialog disappears, but the brush remains active, and menus are disabled. Then I have to restart to fix it. This is rare, but it does happen.

Thank you for this inormation! We actualy never met this issue on our test farm.

The diffuse, holes, and heights brushes all work fine, but the mask brush has problems. I set the brush to "replace", selected a material, maxed out the brush's radius, sharpness, and opacity settings, and set the limits to 0, 90, -100, and 200000. When I press ALT+LMB to draw, there's a lag spike that lasts about 3 seconds. When the lag ends I can scribble on the terrain, but nothing happens.

What is your refined masks resolution? Mask painting is very resource consuming operation and it works slower than other brushes and it really depends on refined mask resolution (larger mask - slower brush). Unigine 1 mask painting was much faster because of only 4 materials per terrain limitation.

It is better to use as lower refined mask resolution as possible (which is not possible in the most cases) or use third-party image editors. I've tried to paint with masks brush on a newly created 2049x2049 terrain with 256 and 512 refined masks resolution and it worked as expected (but, indeed, much slower than diffuse brush for example).

One thing you can try to set Opacity and Radius parameters to 20 or even more (by editing text field manually).

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

The real problem is that I can't paint on the mask layers at all. I tried lowering all my layers resolution to 256, all my refined maps to 256, raised the opacity to 500, the radius to 33. Still nothing.

I made a temporary world with a flat terrain in it, set up 6 layers, imported my masks, set the coarse and refined texture sizes, and setup basic diffuse textures for the layers, then tried to paint, and I still can't make any changes to the masks. The world and terrain are attached.

One of the times I tried painting on the mask it actually worked, and I was able to paint sand for a second. I hit ctrl+z and tried the exact same thing again, and I wasn't able to paint sand anymore. I tried different settings and layers for the next 10 minutes with no success. 

tempworlds.rar

Hi Ted,

For your test sample, could you please try to increase Sharpness and Opacity for the brush up to 30 and increase Nodes -> Layers tab -> Diffuse: Scale parameter for the sand material up to 1.
Then try to use the brush on the grass area.

Also, please check that mask brush takes into account materials' hierarchy, so if you paint with the grass mask on the sand mask, grass will be under the sand, because the sand material has the higher priority.
But your materials diffuse textures are transparent so your materials will be seen through each other.

If you still have a problems with mask paint, some information about your PC(OS, GA) will be helpful.

If I put the opacity and sharpness up to 30, and hold the brush on a single location for 10-30 seconds, I'll get a dot of whatever material I'm painting with, maybe once every three attempts. 

My computer is an Intel i7-4770k  3.50ghz, with 16 gb or ram, with a geforce gtx 770, running windows 8.1 Pro. My Unigine version is the latest release, 2.0 beta.