[SOLVED] Is there a way to transmit metadata from Maya to Unigine within a FBX File

photo

Hi,

We would like to work with FBX files exported from Maya, and transmit some "metadata" (custom information) into a node to Unigine.

Here is a brief description of our pipeline :

1) Into Maya: we add some metadata into a node in a scene.

2) Into Maya: we export the scene to FBX (The export keeps the metadata).

3) Into Unigine: we import the FBX file with the FBX import plugin.

4) Into Unigine: we have the hierarchy and the nodes, but we have lost the metadata.

Is there a way to transmit metadata from Maya to Unigine within a FBX File ?

Hi Philippe!

Currently, we don't have support for metadata in FBX files but you could modify our Autodesk plugin source code and add metadata support.

The C++ plugin source code is located in <sdkroot>/source/plugins/Editor/Autodesk folder. You'll also need to modify editor plugin as well, it's located in <sdkroot>/source/data/editor/plugins/import folder.

• 4 years later...

Hello @davide445,

We're supporting and developing our generic FBX import plugin. It has evolved a lot last years, bit for a project-specific task it's better to modify it according to your needs. Some of our clients even writing their own importers, some are modifying existing ones. I'll leave here a link that could be helpful: https://developer.unigine.com/en/docs/2.7.3/code/usage/custom_import_plugin/index

Thanks!

How to submit a good bug report
---
FTP server for test scenes and user uploads:

Thanks for the answer, didn't have much time testing myself. 

Aware about the possibility to customize the importer, my case is for ifc BIM file import and was testing PiXYZ ifc-->fbx as converter. 

I just hope your ifc importer will be possibly available in Q3.